www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Ragwort eating caterpillar
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ragwort eating caterpillar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidholmes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Ragwort eating caterpillar Reply with quote

I was pulling up ragwort in our field earlier this week and found some plants infested with these guys. They are the caterpillar of the cinnabar moth which feeds on ragwort - I have never seen them before although we have had problems with ragwort for years. I left the infested plants for them to eat in the hope it would expand the local population.
I didn't have my camera with me so this is taken on my phone - Samsung S8

Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good decision in letting them be, it could be that they are territorial and may return to where they spawned to lay the eggs of their offspring anew, thereby giving you biological control over your ragwort problem. I seen a video here a long while back where beetles were used to control invasive weeds in pasture land and it worked quite well. Smile
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: