www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Jumping spider on intense orange flower
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jumping spider on intense orange flower

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Jumping spider on intense orange flower Reply with quote

I haven't had time lately to do much photography, but I couldn't resist this "arm's length macro" grab shot.

The big splotch of color on the spider's back does a good job of matching the color of these flowers. I have no idea whether that's significant somehow.

--Rik

Technical: Canon A710 IS, macro mode, auto everything (1/100 sec, f/4). Cropped to about 70% of original frame width.
Bruce Williams

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These jumping spiders are amazing looking creatures. Are the green bits behind the pedipalps associated with the fangs Rik?

Nice capture attesting to the value of having a convenient compact at the ready.

Bruce Very Happy
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorful shot there Rik. Jumping spiders in my area seem to be quite shy and tend to duck behind something when I try to get a shot of them. The orange spot on its back, matching the color of the flower, does make one wonder, as you noted. Very Happy
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Williams wrote:
Are the green bits behind the pedipalps associated with the fangs Rik?

They sure are. See this old post for more detail on the association.

Ken, the jumpers around here range from peek-a-boo to put-up-your-dukes. This little fellow was kind of in the middle. He stayed put for a while, then scurried under the flower, then scurried back out again when I put a finger under the flower with him. This particular shot was taken after all that.

--Rik
salden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have more of the "put up your dukes" jumping spiders Laughing . Nice capture Rik
beetleman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colors and the composition are excellent Rik. Makes the whole picture very striking IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: