My Yongnuo YN24EX Twin Macro Flash arrived. It's great!

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

anvancy wrote: Nikon users were sad that YN did not release a Nikon version.
It's usable with Nikon .. but only in Manual mode
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

Yawns wrote:
anvancy wrote: Nikon users were sad that YN did not release a Nikon version.
It's usable with Nikon .. but only in Manual mode
Whoa.

I always had this confusion in mind that the pin setup difference will not work on manual.

So there is no harm done to the camera? ofcourse flash controls on camera will not be accessible.

If its safe, I can recommend to some friends who were asking the same.
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

Yawns

Canon Flash on Nikon Body & Vice-Versa

Post by Yawns »

From the web .. saves a lot of Typing :)

(...) Yes, you can use either brand on the other one's hotshoe, and the flash will fire in sync with the exposure being made. But that's the only function you will have. No i-TTL/e-TTL, no high-speed sync (FP), no menu commanding of the flash, no flash exposure compensation, no wake-up from sleep, no 2nd curtain, no matching the zoom to the lens's focal length—anything that requires communication between the flash and the camera body other than the "fire!" signal won't be communicated.

(...) Sync voltages, if you are using digital-era flash models, should not be an issue. All the digital-era flashes tend to have sync voltages of <10V, and most Canon/Nikon hotshoes have a limit of 250V, while mirrorless cameras are guesstimated to have limits around 20V. The 6V limit you often seen in web references are for the first generation of Canon dSLRs. If you have a Canon camera model that was made after the original dRebel (300D), the limit is 250V.

Read more here:

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questio ... -of-camera
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

anvancy

Re: Canon Flash on Nikon Body & Vice-Versa

Post by anvancy »

Yawns wrote:From the web .. saves a lot of Typing :)

(...) Yes, you can use either brand on the other one's hotshoe, and the flash will fire in sync with the exposure being made. But that's the only function you will have. No i-TTL/e-TTL, no high-speed sync (FP), no menu commanding of the flash, no flash exposure compensation, no wake-up from sleep, no 2nd curtain, no matching the zoom to the lens's focal length—anything that requires communication between the flash and the camera body other than the "fire!" signal won't be communicated.

(...) Sync voltages, if you are using digital-era flash models, should not be an issue. All the digital-era flashes tend to have sync voltages of <10V, and most Canon/Nikon hotshoes have a limit of 250V, while mirrorless cameras are guesstimated to have limits around 20V. The 6V limit you often seen in web references are for the first generation of Canon dSLRs. If you have a Canon camera model that was made after the original dRebel (300D), the limit is 250V.

Read more here:

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questio ... -of-camera
Thanks Yawns.

Will let my nikon friends know the good news.
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic