www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - PLEASE don't ONLY use external image stores!
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
PLEASE don't ONLY use external image stores!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: PLEASE don't ONLY use external image stores! Reply with quote

Photobucket seems to be another image store which is "going bad":
http://uk.pcmag.com/webcom/90124/news/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet .

As far as I'm aware, any of the free hosting services could do something similar.

We realise that the 1024 square image size upload here is restrictive, but it's very depressing to look at an old post and find the images gone altogether.

Remember that you can put a 1024 square picture here, such that clicking on the picture will link to an outside site.
The format would be similar to :
Code:
[url=address_of_picture_on_external_site] [img]http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/userpix/xxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg[/img][/url]

elf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard would it be to copy the linked images onto the photomicrography.net servers? I would certainly give permission to have my old thread images copied.
Deanimator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one reason why I have my own web server, although I typically just upload to my Newsguy.com page.

My test obviously worked, so I'm going to start using my server exclusively.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elf wrote:
How hard would it be to copy the linked images onto the photomicrography.net servers? I would certainly give permission to have my old thread images copied.

Offhand I don't know. It is conceptually straightforward but there would be a lot of details to get right. For what it's worth, the issue applies to me also. Most of my images are stored on my own website. That works well as long as I'm functional to maintain it. But if I get hit by a truck and my heirs overlook that part of the succession plan, it might not be long before things started to disappear. I find that thought disturbing -- not so much the truck, but the loss of info.

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: