Backyard spider

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jnh

Backyard spider

Post by jnh »

Found this rather interesting looking specimen in my backyard (anyone knows what kind of spider this is?). Used a Lume cube for illumination, but it could probably have benefited from some diffusion.
Usually I don't venture outside for macro/micro stuff, so initially, I made some attempts at focus stacking. But the even the slightest breeze made the net bounce around like crazy, so I quickly gave up on that.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Beautiful colors.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nicely shot. With any air movement at all, definitely a frustrating subject for stacking.

From general appearance, I'd guess an Orchard Orbweaver (Leucauge venusta). Compare with http://bugguide.net/node/view/1136517/bgimage . But I don't know the group well enough to know if there are other options.

--Rik

jnh

Post by jnh »

Thanks for the kind comments and the ID - that looks spot-on. I tried a Google image search (green spider North America), but didn't come up with anything useful. I'll have to bookmark that bugguide site.

JohnKoerner

Post by JohnKoerner »

rjlittlefield wrote:Nicely shot. With any air movement at all, definitely a frustrating subject for stacking.

From general appearance, I'd guess an Orchard Orbweaver (Leucauge venusta). Compare with http://bugguide.net/node/view/1136517/bgimage . But I don't know the group well enough to know if there are other options.

--Rik
You nailed it; that's the spider.

Beautiful images btw ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic