DIC eye-candy, colorful shots of nothing!

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

DIC eye-candy, colorful shots of nothing!

Post by Charles Krebs »

Well not exactly nothing. I've been fooling around with the "macro" table-top setup so much lately the microscope has not been getting sufficient exercise. So before I packed it in for the day I grabbed a slide. I put on a drop of immersion oil, a drop of machine lube oil, sprayed on a little water, and even sprayed on a little throat spray from the medicine cabinet. Slapped on a cover slip, and cruised around the slide with the DIC slider set for "Disneychrome". I normally avoid this type of color with DIC, but sometimes it is really fun to look at the colorful abstracts that occur this way.

(Two images on each 550x800 jpg, separated by a bar of R:239/G:239/B:239)

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

i like the 3rd best.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very pretty, Charlie, and an elegant and clever presentation -- thanks for noting how it was done!

--Rik

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Hi Charlie,
Nice shots....its funny, when looking at protozoa one tends to avoid using the old quarter wave plate (or equivalent) and keep the usual gray DIC background, but as soon as the subject isn't a cell or group of them, it gets tempting. Small bits of quartz from the bottom muck in the pond are nicely birefringent and I always like to light them up this way as well. Which shot has the throat medicine?

--David

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

David... there was some along the edges of the second image.
But because of the highly precise and technical methodology I used (NOT! :roll: )... there is no way of knowing what is what.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic