Hello, new here

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dakman

Hello, new here

Post by Dakman »

Just purchased a new to me Stack Shot and have in the past been familiar to using enlarger lenses but the area of higher magnification and better quality imaging has always interested me. So I've got some questions right off the bat before I look to setting up a workspace and equipping it while avoiding unnesesscary 'learning experiences'

To start, the vibrations I see mentioned, are they eliminated by use of the automatic rail with dwell/rest time between shots, are there still vibrations from the mechanical firing of the camera even if used with mirror lock up, how much does environmental vibrations (truck driving past as an example) affect things. I see the use of sorbathane feet and one unusual mention of go kart inner tubes as a way to absorb these?

Also does the height of a focusing rail on top of the Stack Shot as I see in a lot of peoples set ups introduce more chance of vibration/movement being what looks like unstablity issues?

What determines the wide variation of microscope objectives, there seems to be an enormous range of price difference? Is the difference in image quality really that noticable from a mid priced objective to the very highly priced?

Continuous lighting as opposed to flash, are there distinct advantages or disadvantages to either or are the tradeoffs between the methods small or do they even each other out to the point of personal preferences?

Thanks for any help, I have been reading a lot and would prefer to have a bit of a plan in my head before I start making and or buying equipment.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I don't have a Stack Shot, but using a manual focus rail and DSLR Controller, I do run into vibration issues.

DSLR Controller runs in live view, so I don't have mirror problems. What I do have is environmental problems.

My macro table is in my living room. My apartment is a pit, with among other things, floors so "springy" that I can't use a tripod separate from my macro table (a sheet of fiberboard on top of two filing cabinets). There's visible movement between the tripod and the table when I shift my weight from one foot to the other. I had to mount the ballhead directly to the table. Even still, when I stack with my manual rail, I have to wait for at least a five count between exposures, lest there be visible vibration.

I live across the street from an interstate highway. While the vibration isn't constant, semi-trucks can be felt when they hit a bump.

Living in an apartment, I do hear (and feel) other tenants moving around. If somebody in the apartment above me trips over something and falls down or drops a box of books on the floor, I'm going to see it in live view. This is definitely less of an issue than my own movements on the flimsy floor.

Concrete or similar floors are definitely going to be a plus, as will mounting the camera system and subject on the same structure.

Expect to do a lot of trial and error work.

Dakman

Post by Dakman »

thanks for your reply.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic