Where to Get Optical Breadboards?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

elf

Post by elf »

I suspect a piece of 12 gauge steel (or thicker) glued to a piece of MDF would be much less expensive and also more flexible (for placing items) than traditional breadboards. Magnetic hold downs can be purchased or made.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ztt74 wrote:one option that I took was to buy a 14x20 inch half inch thick piece of aluminum plate (if you are in US/Canada, then https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/ - they have outlets all over north america). Then I got a local CNC shop to drill 1/4-20 holes into it in a pattern that I designed. The plate was $110 Canadian, and CNC work was $90, which worked out to be about half the price of a commercial board here in Canada.

Jon
You are lucky, there is so much work nowadays for machine shops in the US, its worth paying 50% more for a commercially made plate to not have to deal with them. I contacted 3-4 machine shops around the Los Angeles area late last year for some custom work, only 2 even responded, and the one I chose took 2 months to complete the job after 5-10 emails back and forth.

Meanwhile in Belarus, Raf camera took about two weeks for the same type of work at 50% of the cost.

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic