www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Where to Get Optical Breadboards?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Where to Get Optical Breadboards?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect a piece of 12 gauge steel (or thicker) glued to a piece of MDF would be much less expensive and also more flexible (for placing items) than traditional breadboards. Magnetic hold downs can be purchased or made.
RobertOToole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ztt74 wrote:
one option that I took was to buy a 14x20 inch half inch thick piece of aluminum plate (if you are in US/Canada, then https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/ - they have outlets all over north america). Then I got a local CNC shop to drill 1/4-20 holes into it in a pattern that I designed. The plate was $110 Canadian, and CNC work was $90, which worked out to be about half the price of a commercial board here in Canada.

Jon

You are lucky, there is so much work nowadays for machine shops in the US, its worth paying 50% more for a commercially made plate to not have to deal with them. I contacted 3-4 machine shops around the Los Angeles area late last year for some custom work, only 2 even responded, and the one I chose took 2 months to complete the job after 5-10 emails back and forth.

Meanwhile in Belarus, Raf camera took about two weeks for the same type of work at 50% of the cost.

Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: