www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Lens resolving power - can I show Tiff files
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Lens resolving power - can I show Tiff files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LVF

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Lens resolving power - can I show Tiff files Reply with quote

I am photographing a resolution chart with several lens, teleconverters, and extension tubes. I am doing this at varying lens apertures. I believe that Tiff files will show the difference between apertures better than the required posting Jpg files. Is it possible to post Tiff files?

Leon
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lens resolving power - can I show Tiff files Reply with quote

LVF wrote:
Is it possible to post Tiff files?

This forum's upload software does not allow TIFF. Most browsers cannot display TIFF either.

I suggest instead using PNG. That format is supported by the upload software, and by browsers, and has the same lossless properties as TIFF.

Be aware, however, that you will still be subject to the 300 KB limit on file length. Depending on image content, that may limit the pixel dimensions of your PNG image to be less than you would like. In that case you will have to choose between the limited pixel dimensions of PNG, or the least compression of JPEG that will let you fit the number of pixels that you want into 300 KB.

Quote:
I believe that Tiff files will show the difference between apertures better than the required posting Jpg files.

That's a common belief, but when careful comparisons are done, it seldom turns out to actually be the case. Resolution charts compress nicely with JPG because they are mostly composed of large featureless regions separated by sparse edges. As a result they generally tolerate a high quality setting (light compression), which preserves even the edges quite well. The biggest problem for JPEG is with images that are richly detailed all over the image, almost the antithesis of a resolution chart.

--Rik
LVF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I will explorer using Png. However, I guess the use of Jpg in this case is O.K.

Leon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: