Stacking Workflow

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

I think this digression is better covered in this thread:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... ter+zerene

I am posting a response to Chris S' comment there.
Still learning,
Cameras' Sony A7rII, OLympus OMD-EM10II
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Chris, and austrokiwi, thanks for the advice. I will be unable to upgrade my computer for a year or two (spent all my money on lenses), but will take this advice into account when I have the chance to upgrade. Chris, thanks for your willingness to discuss cooling details; I'll ask you about cooling options when the time comes to upgrade.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

austrokiwi1 wrote:I am quite perplexed by this focus on work flow. I can understand that if someones business/work involved taking macro photographs all day long( for example a coin auction house taking photographs for their latest sale) in that case analyzing the work flow would be of great importance. However in a life sciences laboratory where macro/micro photography is only an infrequent activity,even if on a daily basis, I can not see any advantage in focusing on the work flow.

So My question is why the emphasis on work flow?
My biggest concern was in having to plug and unplug things from the camera, especially the USB cable, which is not a high reliability connection. I also was loathe to go to HDMI on dual-monitors or to give up auto file downloading.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Austrokiwi, in my case (biological sciences) I do sometimes need to be efficient to make my publication deadlines. My most recent article required 120 stacks + associated writing, in four days.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Lou Jost wrote:. . . I will be unable to upgrade my computer for a year or two (spent all my money on lenses). . . . I'll ask you about cooling options when the time comes to upgrade.
Lou, there is a good chance you can make your current computer run cooler by cleaning it, rearranging wires to facilitate airflow, adding additional (and inexpensive) fans, etc. When I see a computer that crashes under continuous, heavy load, my sense is to repair, rather than replace. Every computer I have encountered can be made to run full-out for an indefinite period of time without crashing.

--Chris S.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Chris, I should have been more precise. It is the program that crashes, not the computer's operating system. I get the message "This program is not responding". So I don't think it is a heat problem yet....

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
My biggest concern was in having to plug and unplug things from the camera, especially the USB cable, which is not a high reliability connection. I also was loathe to go to HDMI on dual-monitors or to give up auto file downloading.
That is a very good point....I am plugging and unplugging from that micro usb connector all the time. I hadn't thought of wearing out that port. I have an alternate option that as yet I hadn't tried .....that is creating an android environment on my lap top and controlling the camera via Sony's Play memories Android app using wifi ( this will include live view ) I am not sure how successful that will be.
Still learning,
Cameras' Sony A7rII, OLympus OMD-EM10II
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic