Leaking Duracell Batteries

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Leaking Duracell Batteries

Post by mawyatt »

A few months ago we had a few Duracell D cell batteries leak in a lantern and ruin my in-laws kitchen counter top. Now I have 3 of my RF Trigger Receivers with leaking Duracell AAA batteries, 6 out of 8 were leaking and corroded the receiver contacts.

I've removed all the Duracell batteries I can find, which were in various household items.

BTW Duracell would not stand behind their batteries for the damage they've done to the counter top.

Best,

Mike

Grahame

Post by Grahame »

I used to have a 6 D cell Maglight, used to.
We are a long way from alone.
https://www.complaintsboard.com/complai ... 98865.html
https://www.complaintsboard.com/complai ... 91176.html

Olympusman

Duracell batteries

Post by Olympusman »

I have encountered counterfeit Duracell batteries - usually through "mom and pop" convenience stores. They get them through shady suppliers. Usually the packaging looks questionable as well as the quality of the "copper top."

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Mike,

We sent the leaking D cells to Duracell, they haven't indicated a counterfeit.

Best,

Mike

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Mike, I'm sorry for your unfortunate experience.

For whatever it's worth, my one experience with Duracell's customer service was very positive. A Duracell AA battery leaked and ruined my $62 headlamp. I sent Duracell the headlamp (with the leaky battery stuck tight in it but forcibly removed just enough to prove it was a Duracell) and printout showing replacement cost, and in a number of weeks received a check for $62, coupons for Duracell products, and an apology letter. So far as I apprehend from reading packaging, Duracell is the only alkaline battery maker that promises to replace damaged battery-operated devices. So I use only Duracell batteries for the few disposable batteries I buy (having moved to rechargeable Eneloops for most AA and AAA use).

--Chris

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Chris,

Evidently this Duracell battery leaking is a widespread issue. I posted on another site like here just to alert folks, and got a large number of similar responses with leaking Duracell's.

Steve Perry even responded about a hardware store removing Duracell's because of customer complaints!

In the distant past, I used Duracell mainly because they didn't leak like other brands (RayoVac for example), well not anymore. I'll use Eveready or another brand, but will move most things to Eneloops rechargeables.

Best,

Mike

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Note, rechargeables can also leak. It is important to take them out when not in use for an extended period.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic