Some pictures of the past week (003) 27th May 17

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Yawns

Some pictures of the past week (003) 27th May 17

Post by Yawns »

Maybe it's a long post but it will be my last for sometime... I'm simply very tired and a bit frustrated and I'm going to stop to shoot for a while..
Honestly I'm feeling like I got to a stagnation level and I don't know what to do to improve... I'm doing "nice" documental pictures .. not sure if I'm doing "photography"....
(yes I was the guy who wrote the 10 reasons to quit in 2017 :)

Some were not shot exactly "in the past week".. it's more like "past week edition and sorting"

PAST WEEK PICTURES

a very small Bombillidae.. I thought all the Bommbillidae were big like bees.

An oxyopes spider caring of the cocoon on a Lavandula stoechas flower... 3 days later there it was in the very same position.

a full grown adult female

Past week Editions.

For some reason this year I'm finding loads of Cerambycidae.. this is the 7th new species I found this season...

I was busy with an Empusa, under a pine tree when this poor bug banged his head in the wires of the fence making a hell of a scary noise
I never saw a Buprestidae before.. lucky me, poor him...

a young Empusa... all brown and wingless ....
Shot with an ordinary 18-55 "kit lens".. the lens that comes with all the entry level DSLR packs.. Straight with tubes (not reversed)

Produced these pictures to show a friend he can learn the ropes with the gear he has, before diving on expensive objectives... and produce "decent" pictures meanwhile...

YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Saul

Post by Saul »

Beautiful set, thanks for sharing !
Saul
μ-stuff

GrayPlayer

Post by GrayPlayer »

Believe this is a case of "where do you go after you see Gay "Paree!" Or am I telling my age!!
Fred H.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Some pictures of the past week (003) 27th May 17

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yawns wrote:Honestly I'm feeling like I got to a stagnation level and I don't know what to do to improve... I'm doing "nice" documental pictures .. not sure if I'm doing "photography"....
Lovely images, but I see your point.

I notice that all of these images are composed with the subject fitting as much as possible inside the focus plane.

That approach leads to the classic "straight down" or "straight sideways" views, which are great for documentation but are often a bit boring.

You might be happier to play around with other approaches to composition. Try some "in your face" shots where much of the subject will be out of focus but the viewer has more chance to imagine interacting with it.

Some stuff to read and think about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmMcCjEU68Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60
https://beingmark.com/macro-illustrated/
https://pbertner.wordpress.com/19-rules-to-follow/

I hope this helps!

--Rik

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

I really love the last image. Are these images a blend of natural and flash lighting?
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

davholla

Post by davholla »

Really good, what tubes did you use?

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

These are beautiful. As far as I can tell, you are a 'stacker', as your pictures are lovely and perfect, with super-detailed resolution of the subject and soft backgrounds. But maybe you are tired of that?
So you could step out of your comfort zone. Here are suggestions:
a. Single shot handheld.
b. Flying insects. Moving insects. Can't stack those!
c. Get a big zoom lens and try for birds. I have tried this, and it made me feel like I knew nothing! I loved it.
d. Landscapes and people.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic