Some kind of tiny spider

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

royalwinchester

Some kind of tiny spider

Post by royalwinchester »

Nikon D500, AF Micro Nikkor 200mm f4, Mitutoyo 10X

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Nice composition. Spider eyes and their varying "arrangement" between species fascinates me. Are they eyes or ocelli? And what's the difference?

royalwinchester

Not sure! :)
Maybe "eye" is a very general term and all these ocelli and ommatidia are subsets... I have noticed that almost all the spiders I find around here have an arrangement much like this one. Though, there used to be an adorable jumping spider living in our bathroom, with huge forward facing eyes.
I hadn't yet started taking pictures of the tiny, but with those big beautiful lens eyes out front, and their willingness to sit still, I am hopeful one day to get a beautiful stack of a live one. Just yesterday I noticed a few very cool crab spiders being very industrious in the garden. Attempts at a handheld 1:1 macro shot in the golden hour afternoon light were, alas, unrewarded with any keepers.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Spider eyes are different from both kinds of insect eyes (compound eyes and ocelli).

Spider eyes are a lot more like vertebrate eyes, with a single lens and an imaging retina. They vary a lot in resolution and field of view between species and from one eye to another. The Anterior Median eyes of jumping spiders (not shown in this thread) are particularly rich, with good resolution on both lateral and depth axes.

This is now described at quite a few places on the web. See for example http://tolweb.org/accessory/Jumping_Spi ... cc_id=1946 and https://www.wired.com/2014/04/spider-vision-made-clear/ .

--Rik

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Gosh! Amazing. Thanks for the links Rik - very interesting. I enjoyed the linked cartoon too :)

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

:shock: :roll: :smt119 ...We need a new icon for jumping spider visual movement!
So interesting, never would had thought so.
Pau

royalwinchester

So cool!
Thanks, Rik!

Olympusman

Spider

Post by Olympusman »

From the eye pattern, it looks like it my be Family Pisauridae - Nursery Web Spiders.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

royalwinchester

Thanks, Olympusman!

I think that is it!
I should have mentioned that this picture was taken in the Pacific Northwest, but that probably wouldn't have aided much in this case, given how widespread these are.

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

The composition is fantastic.

Its like I am watching you.
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic