300mm + 68mm ext. tube + 500D close-up lens

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LVF

300mm + 68mm ext. tube + 500D close-up lens

Post by LVF »

Playing in my computer room. Decided to go crazy with close-up gear.

The following photos where taken with the Nikon D500 camera + the Kenko 68mm auto extension tubes + the Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF lens + the Canon 500D close-up lens screwed on the front of the 300mm lens.

This combination gives a 1:1 photograph at a distance of 16 inches from the front of the canon 500D close-up lens.

The following shows that this combo gives a 1:1 photo. Here is a photo of my Nikon D500 close-up target I made in Photoshop:

The small center rectangle marked 1:1 is the physical size of the D500 camera.

Here is a photo of the combination gear taken 16 inches from the front of the canon 500 D close-up lens:

This photo shows that at 16 inch working distance, this combination gives a 1:1 photo. Obviously my camera was not exactly square with the target since the left side is not in focus.

I photographed an orange and a yellow Gerbera Daisy with this combination to see how they do for close-up photography.

Here is a close-up of the center of an orange Gerbera Daisy taken at 16 inch working distance:

And here is a close-up of the center of a yellow Gerbera Daisy:

Thought members might be interested in this combination. Just having fun while weather is improving here in Sequim, Washington.

Leon

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Try without the tube. My 300mm didn't like a tube much, and 68 on 300 won't give you much extra magnification.

I was quite surprised how good the result ( I was using a Canon lens with a Nikon diopter...) was. Had to stop down to f/11 or so as I recall, but you probably would anyway.
16" is pretty good for bees and suchlilke, should work well.
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, the 500D close-up lens is very good. I've never used it on such a long telephoto. Will have to try that!

LVF

ChrisR and Lou Jost

Post by LVF »

Next post, Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF plus Canon 500D close-up lens. Same 16 inch working distance. Gives near 1:1 photos; more like 1:1.3 photos.

Leon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic