Dialux-Pol S vertical illuminator attachment

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

75RR

Dialux-Pol S vertical illuminator attachment

Post by 75RR »

Just picked up a Leitz Wetzlar "Black Enamel" Dialux-Pol S.
It came with several bits and pieces - not sure what this one is exactly.
Don't actually have 3, just combined the images into one to show all of it.
Second image shows it attached to the vertical illuminator.

Anyway, the prism positioning handle as well as the diaphragm and the collimator are stuck - solid grease I imagine.
My question is: would heating it in an oven damage the lenses?
Is there a better procedure?

Zeiss Standard WL & Wild M8
Olympus E-p2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Yes, heating may damage lenses. Better use Leitz specific lens cleaner fluid.

Other members have used mineral spirits, WD40, xylene and other chemicals (note that xylene is quite harsh though). Be careful with diaphragm - you don't want to pull out the leaflets - getting all of them back nicely is not easy.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

75RR

Post by 75RR »

Yes, heating may damage lenses. Better use Leitz specific lens cleaner fluid.
Would have to dismantle it to use a fluid - would much rather avoid that if possible.

Can someone recommend a lens and prism safe oven temperature and heating time?
Be careful with diaphragm - you don't want to pull out the leaflets - getting all of them back nicely is not easy.

I have put together a large one - an exercise in extreme patience - given the size of this one (it is very very small), I doubt I could do it.
Last edited by 75RR on Thu May 25, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

Try a heat gun on it, just get it warm and start to try and move the gears slowly and see if you get any play as the grease warms up...But obviously if you get it too hot you may damage the lenses, but you can at least focus the heat better at the gears/stuck areas. Heat guns are cheap at harbor freight

75RR

Post by 75RR »

Thanks houstontx - had to look up Heat Gun :)

According to Amazon, Black and Decker has one with: 2 temperature settings (750 Degrees and 1000 Degrees) for a variety of applications

Probably worth a try if I had one, even though 750 sounds harsh!

Would not an oven temperature say of 100 degrees for 10/15 min be safer than a Heat Gun?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

2 temperature settings (750 Degrees and 1000 Degrees) for a variety of applications
I haven't experience with this stuff but this one seems a very bad guy. If you want to try heat first test with a hair dryer. Strong temperature changes and lack of uniformity seems the perfect recipe to damage lenses. Very small drops of solvent at the right place seems more safe, I've done it with small drops of "three in one" spray oil (not spraying it!)
Pau

75RR

Post by 75RR »

Hi Pau

Hair dryer sounds much safer - I wonder if my neighbor would lend me hers ... will ask tomorrow.
Would need some sort of funnel - should be able to come up with something.

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

Hairdryer will work too... yes the elements heat up to that temp, but you hold it far away say 6 inches from the piece you want to heat, that way the part only warms to 200-300F and for a brief time... and you can take the heat off quick if need be, you would judge temp with your hand, if its too hot to touch for more than a few seconds its probably too hot, yes make a funnel out of tin foil or sheet metal to concentrate the heat spot...

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

But in the past I have had stuck leitz gears and soaking in WD40 worked. I just applied a very tiny amount using the straw into the cracks of the gears and then applying gentle pressure, if nothing, then apply more solvent, wait, repeat until unstuck

GrayPlayer

Post by GrayPlayer »

Heat gun or place inside a sealed baggy in hot water.
Fred H.

75RR

Post by 75RR »

Thanks houstontx and GrayPlayer.
... place inside a sealed baggy in hot water.
I wonder if dry bright tropical sun will do as well? I would feel silly if the bag leaked!

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

If you try a heat gun, I'd suggest one like the Atten 858D Hot Air Rework Station ($58 USD). This has a pencil-narrow output (among several choices), adjustable temperature, and adjustable airflow. I bought mine for the electronics bench, to use in desoldering and applying heat-shrink tubing. But it's also been useful for applying spot heat in other situations, such as disassembly of sensitive equipment. (Though I'm not convinced it is wise to use heat of from any source near lenses.)

Blogger David L. Jones posted a comprehensive review of the device, including tear down and demonstration. Be warned--it is a very long review (almost 24 minutes). Speeding up Youtube by hitting control + > a couple times is recommended.

The Black and Decker heat gun is probably meant for much coarser chores, such as softening paint so that it can be scraped off of things like wood trim around doors and windows.

--Chris S.

75RR

Post by 75RR »

Thanks Chris S.

Curiously I had come across blogger David L. Jones before, I was looking at his voltmeter reviews a while ago.

That is too much machine for a once only job + price is actually over my zeiss objective ebay budget ;)

My plan so far is to go eco (i.e. use the sun) for my first attempt and once I get a little movement (so solvent can penetrate), will try a drop of zippo lighter fuel (non eco) applied with a toothpick.

Will hopefully have good news later today.

P.S. Anyone have a name/function for the part in question?
Came in a little box with 3 objectives with a (P) Fl designation on them.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Heat by itself, when applied for sufficient time (like a few weeks/months), may delaminate lenses. I know a local scope dealer who exposes his scopes to the Houston summer without air conditioning - his objectives have quite some delamination.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

75RR

Post by 75RR »

I have seen cigars and wine kept in front shop windows that get the full effect of the sun!

I was thinking about 10 min, just to warm it up.
Its a little cloudy now (it is the rainy season) so will try later today.
I will be sitting outside with it (to monitor the temp and wiggle the bits that need to wiggled) so it should be fine.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic