1:1 macro stack of spice seeds

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mtuell

1:1 macro stack of spice seeds

Post by mtuell »

A quiz: who can name all of the Indian spices in these pictures?

Cross-eyed stereo

Cross-eyed stereo

This is with a lens I just got - a Pentax 67 200 mm f/4, reversed on a Nikkor 55-200 mm, so a 1:1 image. I think it was 85 and 60 images, DMap. As usual, larger and parallel versions on my site in the "stereo images" section. I'm waiting on a reversal ring to do a 55 mm Pentax 67 lens, which will be 3.64:1.

Mike

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Cardamom, peppercorns, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, mustard, fennel - you missed cloves? Could be caraway but I don't think so.
Chris R

Olympusman

Spices

Post by Olympusman »

Fascinating subject. Just goes to show you the wonders all around us.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Chris almost nailed it, but has too many varieties in his list! :)

Yes, black peppercorns and black mustard. Yes fennel and fenugreek (that's an easy ID if you know what it is! Otherwise, not so much...)

As for cardamom, do you mean pods or seeds? In either case, no! Also, there is no cumin or coriander in this group. Nope, it's not caraway.

So, what is left ... well, there is a big square thing in one shot, which is actually a seed. And all the little guys that look sort of like the fennel with the stripes up the body.

Any more guesses?

Mike

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

OK, the final two are: ajwain seeds, (which after looking it up, are sometimes called Ajowan caraway, so excellent attempt, Chris! Also, they are technically fruits...) and nigella seeds (Kalonji).

I have a few more varieties - I'll try again some time!

Mike

p.s. I love Indian food! :D

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The more you look things up, the crazier food naming gets..
https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/m ... 000-01.jpg
Chris R

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mtuell wrote:OK, the final two are: ajwain seeds, (which after looking it up, are sometimes called Ajowan caraway, so excellent attempt, Chris! Also, they are technically fruits...) and nigella seeds (Kalonji).

I have a few more varieties - I'll try again some time!

Mike

p.s. I love Indian food! :D
Liking all the fine details and shapes. The inspires me to look at all the spices I have. The wife and I love to cook Indian!

If you like indian food, LA has lots of Indian local type spots, we even a neighborhood called little india with some excellent places.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic