Locals can be as attractive as exotics!

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Locals can be as attractive as exotics!

Post by NikonUser »

Several of the NA Buprestrid Beetles are extremely colourful; the common name for the family reflects this: "Jewel Beetles".
Found this Bupestris striata on a dead white pine, one of the larval hosts, May 4 2017.
Length: 17 mm
Nikon D90, 105 mm micro (old MF f/2.8 model), bellows, f/8, Zerene stack.

Last edited by NikonUser on Thu May 11, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Very pretty, and nicely done. I do feel the background is distracting and takes away from the subject; I gather from your description that it didn't show up as you expected.

Good observation on finding things in your own backyard; constantly amazing how many previously unnoticed subjects are within a thousand foot radius of home!

Leonard

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Thanks Leonard.
Yes, the background was very distracting.
I have re-shot the beetle on a compressed cork background; same as the earlier shot of a weevil:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=34037

Talking of local beauties; several of the micro-moths are quite stunning when enlarged.
NU.
student of entomology
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

A lovely beast! It brings back memories of my childhood, surrounded by pine and Douglas fir forest.

I didn't see the earlier image, but for me the compressed cork background is still distracting. Partly that's because of the visual pattern, and partly because the cork has no biological relationship to the subject. It reminds me of my home-made specimen boxes, before I switched to plastic pinning bases. (I know it's crazy, but I find myself looking for the pin, and wondering why the stack was extended all the way to the pinning base.)

I see in your description that this subject was found on dead white pine. I wonder what it would look like on a piece of that for background?

--Rik

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

There have been requests, on PMG, for sources (commercial) of insects for imaging. The reason for this post was to alert PMG'ers (at least those in NA) that there are plenty of beautiful 'bugs' locally.

The UK fauna is very well known but depauperate in species.

As this was obviously an artificial setup the background was a minor consideration. Thought I had a very nice neutral gray background until the image was processed; turned out to be a series of colour dots! Am adding the original image with the 'grey' background.

Good luck finding the pin - there was not one; simply resting on the background.
NU.
student of entomology

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

NikonUser wrote:Good luck finding the pin - there was not one; simply resting on the background.
I know -- that's why I said it was crazy that I keep looking for one, and wondering why the stack was "extended".

Thanks for reposting the original. That is surely the most spectacular example I've seen of the limitations of halftone grays.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic