Need advice....Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bcgeo

Need advice....Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

Post by bcgeo »

I have a Olympus SZX 16 Microscope and would like to pair it with a Full frame Mirrorless Camera. If anyone has experience with this I would like your opinion. Is Capture One Pro 10 a desirable tethering tool with the compatible Sony camera ? Or is there a better combination ?

Thanks for your help in Advance
Gerry.

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

As I understand it Capture one pro is the only tethering tool available. I use Capture one pro with my Sony A7rII. A word of warning. Capture one pro is a processor and Ram intensive application. Phase one says the minimum system requirements are a quad core processor and 8gb ram. With the Sony A7rII uncompressed raw files, that minimum requirement is inadequate. You really need at least 16 gb ram( I am running 64gb) and a CPU with more than four cores. A good GPU will also be of help (Phase one say it needs a minimum of 2gb ram, but more is better).

I used to try processing with a laptop that met the mininum system requirements. It was unstable and very slow at processing. I have just built a new PC with Capture one pro requirements in mind. Capture one pro now runs extremely well and processes s files extremely quickly. tethering is simple but you really need a 4k Screen to even start to get close to the cameras rear monitor resolution( I find Manual focus assist with focus peaking better than using a computer to focus)

Edit: Here is the link to the supported(sony) cameras page: https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products/So ... meras.aspx
Last edited by austrokiwi1 on Mon May 08, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still learning,
Cameras' Sony A7rII, OLympus OMD-EM10II
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

Ichthyophthirius

Re: Need advice....Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

bcgeo wrote:If anyone has experience with this I would like your opinion.
Hi Gerry,

It's not what you asked for :oops: but you can simply place the camera sensor directly into the intermediate image plane of the SZX microscope. The intermediate image is located 104.0 mm (+/- 2 mm for adjustment) above the trinocular tube female dovetail fitting.

If you do this, an APS-C size sensor or a m4/3 sensor are a much better fit for the intermediate image diameter (approx. 28 mm). This can be achieved with a simple mechanical adapter, no additional optics: http://www.promicra.com/images/canon_ds ... pus_CX.png

A full frame sensor is too big for this approach and you'd need a teleconverter to fill the sensor.

Regards, Ichty

bcgeo

Post by bcgeo »

So I asked the Olympus Technical Help in a email if the Olympus Pen F could be Tethered and this is their response........lol lol

Dear Gerald,

Thank you for contacting Olympus Digital Technical Support with your inquiry.
In order for us to assist you we would like you to please reply to this email letting us know if you want to attach a strap to the camera or what it is exactly what you are looking for.

If you have more questions, please reply this e-mail or call our Customer Care telephone number 888-553-4448. (Monday-Friday, 9am-9pm ET).
Regards,

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

Thats a typical olympus automated response. My understanding is the pen F can't be tethered. A MFT camera might well suit your needs better but dynamic range is reduced and noise is increased with that small form factor camera. The other issue is diffraction. I have the OLy OMD_EM10II its oonly 16mp but it is more challenging to use than my Sony A7rII due to the smaller sensor pixels. Diffraction becomes an issue slightly sooner with noise a definite compounding factor. APSc would be a better compromise

The Oly cameras that tether are:

E-M1 Mark II
E-M5 Mark II
Still learning,
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I use my PEN F with a live HDMI feed to my monitor, though I let it write to its own in-camera card; it has an important advantage over most other mirrorless cameras (including, if I recall correctly, the Sony cameras) in that its silent electronic shutter works with off-camera electronic flash. It comes with an Olympus program to control the camera from a PC.

But of course it has many fewer pixels.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

bcgeo wrote:So I asked the Olympus Technical Help in a email if the Olympus Pen F could be Tethered
If you had the camera already, you could try this software: https://rebs.biz/cc/en/index.html and see if it works for the PEN-F

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

Still learning,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic