Shield bugs...

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Shield bugs...

Post by Beatsy »

...making jiggy in the peonies. First (decent) shot, handheld with MP-E 65mm and MT24EX twin light macro flash (just bought 2nd hand). MP-E at 1x, f/11, 1/160th and flash in manual (it's mounted on a Sony A7rii). I clearly need to add more diffusion but still pretty pleased how this one came out.

piczzilla

Post by piczzilla »

Hi Beatsy, your decent shot is a bit indecent :D

I know macro shooters are very fussy with lighting, but I'd be happy with this shot too if I were you. Lighting aside, I think it's nicely composed. Speaking of diffusers, styrofoam evidently makes good diffusing material, thought I'd share.

JH

Post by JH »

Nice picture!
Here in Stockholm the temperature is sub-zero at nights so we have to wait a few more weeks to see any peonies... :(

Regards Jörgen
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

davholla

Post by davholla »

I like - diffusion on these is quite tricky. Could you use high iso and not use a flash?

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

davholla wrote:I like - diffusion on these is quite tricky. Could you use high iso and not use a flash?
Almost certainly, most of the time, but it was very windy so the flash was better to freeze motion in this case. And I'd just got it - so it simply had to be played with. When you have a new hammer, every problem is a nail :D

davholla

Post by davholla »

Beatsy wrote:
davholla wrote:I like - diffusion on these is quite tricky. Could you use high iso and not use a flash?
Almost certainly, most of the time, but it was very windy so the flash was better to freeze motion in this case. And I'd just got it - so it simply had to be played with. When you have a new hammer, every problem is a nail :D
The wind is certainly not your friend with macro photography.

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Is the MP-E 65mm able to go under 1:1? I know it can't focus in the infinity, but can it do less than 1.1 mag..?

I'm asking because it looks like you had an hard time to get bothe bugs inside the picture... one even got an antenna cut...
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

No MP-E 65 minimum is 1:1 - but I had it zoomed >1:1 here, maybe around 1.5x or a little more. I just screwed up, that's all :oops:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic