Handheld Stack - Green-veined white

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

davholla

Post by davholla »

iain wrote:
davholla wrote:Thanks for that. I took this photo of a fly on a bush and there was NOTHING to support myself on, so your technique wouldn't have worked in that case, if I understand you correctly

Does this work at higher magnifications e.g 4x +?
to be honest I would assess the situation and decide whether it was worth the effort - if it was some insect I'd never seen before and there was nothing to aid stability then I'd certainly give it a shot (well, several shots if I'm stacking). I've certainly managed to do this in the past but usually with larger insects which does make things easier. So I would never say it can't be done - just that perhaps some situations may be more challenging than others.

Works fine at higher magnifications but you'll need to be cautious of not missing a slice or 2 as this tends to require a much wider aperture (and so less dof) per each image
Thanks for that, is that what you used to take this?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daddysaur ... ateposted/

What aperture and how many images was it? It is really great, it is similar quality to a photo of much insect.

iain

Post by iain »

davholla wrote:Thanks for that, is that what you used to take this?

What aperture and how many images was it? It is really great, it is similar quality to a photo of much insect.
Yes, same setup using the mp-e at 5x - this is with a Canon 500D. It's 36 images at 1/25 @ f2.8. I was able to go quite a bit slower with the shutter speed as the front on the lens was actually resting on the ground next to the beast which greatly helps with stability. When I get a minute I'll upload all the images for you to play around with if you want...

davholla

Post by davholla »

iain wrote:
davholla wrote:Thanks for that, is that what you used to take this?

Yes, same setup using the mp-e at 5x - this is with a Canon 500D. It's 36 images at 1/25 @ f2.8. I was able to go quite a bit slower with the shutter speed as the front on the lens was actually resting on the ground next to the beast which greatly helps with stability. When I get a minute I'll upload all the images for you to play around with if you want...
Thank you I would love to do that, I have often thought that stacking software should give example files.

I tried to do the same today but a) the first spring tail sized creature I saw (it was a spider) moved and b) I got a headache straight afterwards so that stopped the photos for today.

davholla

Post by davholla »

One other question, you don't post many photos on flickr is that because this technique is weather dependant so you can take a lot less photos than if you used flash or just some unrelated factor?
Saying that, there is nothing wrong with less photos of greater quality. I certainly would like to take less if they were better - although I can't see how that can happen (It might be possible of course).

iain

Post by iain »

davholla wrote:One other question, you don't post many photos on flickr is that because this technique is weather dependant so you can take a lot less photos than if you used flash or just some unrelated factor?
Saying that, there is nothing wrong with less photos of greater quality. I certainly would like to take less if they were better - although I can't see how that can happen (It might be possible of course).
To be honest flash makes no difference - it's purely just a time thing.

I've started a new topic at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=33980 where you can download a set of original images to play with

GrayPlayer

Re: Handheld Stack - Green-veined white

Post by GrayPlayer »

iain wrote:here's another handheld stack - this time it's a green-veined white hiding behind the daffodils - 52 images 1/125 @ f5.6

thanks for looking

Iain
Were you changing focus or moving the camera slightly each "exposure!"
Fred H.

iain

Re: Handheld Stack - Green-veined white

Post by iain »

GrayPlayer wrote: Were you changing focus or moving the camera slightly each "exposure!"
I'm moving the camera slightly between shots.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic