Using X branded objective on Y branded microscope turret

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

F4

Using X branded objective on Y branded microscope turret

Post by F4 »

I have a Nikon Optiphot (not sure how to tell what the exact model/version is) and it has three 210mm Nikon BD Plan DIC objectives on it (not sure how to tell what type of thread is on the objectives).

I am wanting to get a low magnification APO objective because as I understand it, these produce the sharpest images. On eBay, the lowest magnification of a Nikon 210mm M Plan APO objective available is 40x, although I was hoping for something like 2x or 5x. This leaves open the possibility of perhaps using an objective from a different brand.

Can an objective coming from a differing brand other than Nikon work on my Nikon microscope by itself, and if not, then perhaps by using adapters?

If so, what objective is recommended?

Ideally the objective would work with episcopic illumination, translucent illumination, and would also work when using the objective on the DSLR directly or in the microscope turret. I am seeing many use the Mityoto BD Plan objective when using it on the DSLR directly, I just don't know if it will screw into my turret, and also what the practical difference is between M, CF, and BD.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi,

Have you seen this brochure? www.krebsmicro.com/mplan.pdf There are no low-magnification Apos listed. At very low magnification brightfield, there is little advantage to using Apos since the resolution of the objective exceeds the resolution of most camera sensors if you want to image the entire field of view.

The Nikon 210 mm objectives are unique in that they have a finite tube length AND CF-corrected. They don't need a tube lens and they don't need correcting eyepieces either. So they can't be easily mixed with other objectives. The thread size is 26 mm according to this: http://spectraservices2.com/78870.html

For Mityoto or Nikon infinite objectives, you need a tube lens.

Do you know if your Optiphot is even set up for 210 mm?

Regards, Ichty

JH

Post by JH »

Hi F4
If you want to use Nikon finite M or CF-N lenses I suggest that you buy a Nikon turret that have RMS threads.

You might be interested in the CF N 4x NA 0.20 160 mm lens. This is one exampe of a picture with that lens;
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... p?p=206153
In this case I did not care about the corner quality so it was OK to use direct projection.

Regards Jörgen
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Nikon BD finites are 26mm mounting, infinites 27mm.
Chris R

F4

Post by F4 »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:Hi,
Do you know if your Optiphot is even set up for 210 mm?
It must be, as it seems to be fully functional with 210mm objectives on it. I am assuming it will not also accept 160mm lenses.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I think that the microscope will be 160mm corrected if you remove the epiillumination system. The 210 specification IMO is to avoid putting corrective lenses with the increased optical path with the epi equipment.
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic