Just out of curiosity

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harald

Just out of curiosity

Post by Harald »

Hi there you good people,
Just out of curiosity.....
I shoot my images directly to the hard drive in RAW and import them to Lightroom. I export to full size 16bit TIF and stack them with Zerene Stacker.
Do you do any processing in Lightroom before stacking, or do you use the files as is?
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

I do the same as you (though I've started using other programs for RAW import and TIFF conversion as Lightroom 4 doesn't support my camera's RAW format).

Occasionally, I will crop all the pictures before stacking (usually to square) just to save a bit of time. But any other processing is done on the final stacked and (sometimes) retouched result.

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

Also the same in principle( my Raw engine is Capture one pro) I process in Capture one pro and then export as 16 bit Tiff. For stacking in Zerene I just batch process in Capture one pro( not sure if "batch process" is the correct term)
Still learning,
Cameras' Sony A7rII, OLympus OMD-EM10II
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Just out of curiosity

Post by rjlittlefield »

Harald wrote:Do you do any processing in Lightroom before stacking, or do you use the files as is?
I use Lightroom's raw development controls to sharpen and noise reduce, and often to adjust exposure. If my sensor has gotten dirty, then I also use Lightroom to do batch dust removal by cloning from nearby areas that have the right colors. All of this is before stacking.

In my thinking there's no such thing as using a raw file "as is". The only choices are to either accept Lightroom's default values for the development controls, or set different values that are more appropriate for the stack at hand.

I shoot under widely varying conditions, from micro to landscape, and I find that the best raw development settings are quite different from one stack to another.

If you shoot many stacks under similar conditions, then probably they could all use the same raw development settings, so you could set those as Lightroom defaults and use them all the time.

--Rik

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I use Photoshop ... File -> Scripts -> Image Processor, then Select Folder (for the output TIF files the script generates), then check Open first image to apply settings, check Save as TIFF ... then pick RUN. Then I can manipulate the first image to my liking and it more or less batch processes the rest of my RAW files for that stack. It automatically creates a TIFF sub-directory below my image stack directory. So a typical directory structure for my Diatom image stack will look like this. Setup info is just a Notepad TXT file and maybe a few other odd ball things. My naming convention might be unusual but it works for the way my mind works and it's simple.

--- Diatom Triceratium DIC 40x Leitz NPL Fluotar
- Setup info
- Zerene processed
- Helicon processed
- TIFF
- Depth Map

-JW:

Harald

Post by Harald »

Thank you for your comments.
What I meant by "as is" is that I´m not doing any adjustments in Lightroom.
I will try to do some just for the comparison and see what I end up with...
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic