www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Woodlouse - Porcellio spinicornis
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Woodlouse - Porcellio spinicornis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Woodlouse - Porcellio spinicornis Reply with quote

here's a wee woodlouse I found creeping around the garden - a handheld image stack of 37 - 1/125, f5, iso 400. The first and last images are f9

thanks for looking

Iain
Jam35

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Woodlouse - Porcellio spinicornis Reply with quote

really interesting shot, because you can see how the insect can just about appear invisible to predators (but not to photographers ) Very Happy thank you for sharing
microman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good photo and good job on the stacking. Handheld is no picnick.
I found a dead one simular to the one in your picture with a parasite stuck to its eye like an alien but i need to clean my sensor before i do any more stacks Sad
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! How did you change the aperture of the camera without moving? That takes incredible body control.
iain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou Jost wrote:
Wow! How did you change the aperture of the camera without moving? That takes incredible body control.

Yes, it isn't that easy and takes a wee bit of getting used to, but it really improves the transition between focus and out of focus. Previously there was a very distinct line between the two. That said, the trickiest thing is actually remembering to do it at beginning and end of the stack
keks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting technique, I wanna try that too. Just for understanding: wouldn't be the stacked result be the same with all (less) images captured at f9?
iain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keks wrote:
It's an interesting technique, I wanna try that too. Just for understanding: wouldn't be the stacked result be the same with all (less) images captured at f9?

because I'm handholding and not using flash the resultant shutter speed at f9 is generally way to slow to give results that are much use for anything other than out of focus areas. Also, the sweet spot of the MP-E lens is 5.6 so I aim to get as near to that but still maintain an acceptable shutter speed to minimise camera shake for the main body of the stack. Hope that makes sense...
keks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I understand what you mean
MarkSturtevant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very handsome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: