Woodlouse - Porcellio spinicornis

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

iain

Woodlouse - Porcellio spinicornis

Post by iain »

here's a wee woodlouse I found creeping around the garden - a handheld image stack of 37 - 1/125, f5, iso 400. The first and last images are f9

thanks for looking

Iain

Jam35

Re: Woodlouse - Porcellio spinicornis

Post by Jam35 »

really interesting shot, because you can see how the insect can just about appear invisible to predators (but not to photographers ) :D thank you for sharing

microman

Post by microman »

Very good photo and good job on the stacking. Handheld is no picnick.
I found a dead one simular to the one in your picture with a parasite stuck to its eye like an alien but i need to clean my sensor before i do any more stacks :(

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Wow! How did you change the aperture of the camera without moving? That takes incredible body control.

iain

Post by iain »

Lou Jost wrote:Wow! How did you change the aperture of the camera without moving? That takes incredible body control.
Yes, it isn't that easy and takes a wee bit of getting used to, but it really improves the transition between focus and out of focus. Previously there was a very distinct line between the two. That said, the trickiest thing is actually remembering to do it at beginning and end of the stack

keks

Post by keks »

It's an interesting technique, I wanna try that too. Just for understanding: wouldn't be the stacked result be the same with all (less) images captured at f9?

iain

Post by iain »

keks wrote:It's an interesting technique, I wanna try that too. Just for understanding: wouldn't be the stacked result be the same with all (less) images captured at f9?
because I'm handholding and not using flash the resultant shutter speed at f9 is generally way to slow to give results that are much use for anything other than out of focus areas. Also, the sweet spot of the MP-E lens is 5.6 so I aim to get as near to that but still maintain an acceptable shutter speed to minimise camera shake for the main body of the stack. Hope that makes sense...

keks

Post by keks »

yeah I understand what you mean

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very handsome.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic