Vintech manufacturing error

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

macrobatic

Vintech manufacturing error

Post by macrobatic »

It would seem that this would be old hat, but I just acquired a Vintech rail with a manufacturing error that seriously limited the rail's utility. I am posting this on the slim chance that other owners might have encountered the problem or even live with the problem.
The error limits ease by which a rail can be moved. In my case, the rail would move with only minor difficulty through the middle of its range but bind as either end was approached. Neither end could be reached.
Disassembly revealed that the mounting holes of the fixed toothed strip (the stationary member) had been drilled off-center during their manufacture. The strip, which fits into a beveled slot, could not be fully seated during installation because it was forced against a bevel surface. Accordingly, the rail protruded upward into the teeth of the driving gear, causing interference. The rail could be moved within its middle range because the fixed rail could bend enough to allow movement.
I can salvage the unit, at a price. The fixed rail will have to be removed, requiring milling in this case because I stripped its mounting hardware. (I was oblivious the likelihood of Lok-Tite being present. If I had impacted the fasteners before attempting their removal, I might have had favorable results.)
If you intend to study procrastination, do it now.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I have a Vintec dual axis focusing rail and everything is OK. This rail was put out under many names and is still being made I think. This is mine with a different brand name stamped on it:-

http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Focusing- ... B0002ER2WI

Pity you could have not just elongated the hole sideways so the track sat flush?

I have seen different versions of this rail (single and double) but it was obvious from the similarity of the slides that they all originated in the same factory, but have never found out who actually makes them. They seem to be supplied mainly to the "own brand" market.

DaveW

macrobatic

Post by macrobatic »

Thank you for your reply, Dave. It is heartening to know that the configuration remains on the market, if not the name. (I think the operation was sold off.) I know now that, in the event that my effort to repair is not successful, I have a shot at replacement. I do not wish to abandon the unit.
I have not yet found a facility with a small milling machine. (Such services are becoming scarce or rare here with the increasing reliance on throw-away items.) The butchered hardware is still in place. When I get the hardware out, i will do exactly as you suggest, simply widen the holes.
I will look at the Adorama unit and note its source.

macrobatic
If you intend to study procrastination, do it now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic