Magnetic Rock Concert

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mtuell

Magnetic Rock Concert

Post by mtuell »

Hi, All! Been a while since I posted anything much.

A few weeks ago, my 8 year old son went out to a dry riverbed (what we call a "river" in Tucson! :lol: ) and was trying out his gold-panning kit he wanted for Christmas. Not much gold in the Rillito, but his kit came with a big magnet, so he brought home a small sample of tiny rocks that were magnetic. Of course, I took the opportunity to take a look with epi-DF. By wiggling around a magnet underneath, one could get the little guys to dance!

So, I worked on choreographing a music video...

Well, last night, I finally got back to it, this time putting in the color filters for epi-Rheinberg (aka Disco Lights Illumination). Here is a small sample.

The final video is 122 MB .wmv and can be found on my site at https://lavinia.as.arizona.edu/~mtuell/ ... oncert.wmv

Make sure your speakers are on... the dance makes more sense if you can hear what they were hearing!

This is with a BD Plan 5x, with the aperture stop closed down a bit trying to increase depth of field without killing resolution or all the light to the camera. This is on a Nikon Optiphot through a projection lens in the trinocular port to a Nikon D3300 APS-C sensor with no lens attached. I was at ISO 12800, so it is a little noisy, but you get the idea. I replaced the camera's audio with the CD track for your listening pleasure...

I hope you enjoy it!

There are a few videos I haven't mentioned on my site in the "Microscopic Techniques / Images&Videos" page.

Mike

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Very nice video!!
Can you upload it to youtube to make it easier to reproduce?

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Thanks, Carlos!

But, no, I'm not a fan of Google making money off my work. Also, the music is of course not mine...

However, I did email Dr. Brian May, and he just got back to me that he liked it and was OK with me leaving it up on my site! He said it was a lot of fun and that he didn't think the music had been used in that way before.

I think my next similar project will be with ferrofluid, perhaps set to The Prodigy, but I haven't decided yet.

Thanks for looking!
Mike

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Thanks for your reply Mike. I said it only to be able to reproduce the video with more simply
(Sorry my bad bad english! is google traslator)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

mtuell wrote:However, I did email Dr. Brian May, and he just got back to me that he liked it and was OK with me leaving it up on my site! He said it was a lot of fun and that he didn't think the music had been used in that way before.
I give it four thumbs up. That's two for the video, and two more for checking with the creator of the music. Both fun and classy...

--Rik

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Thanks, Rik!

Glad you enjoyed it. It seemed the right thing to do to get permission to publicly use the good Doctor's iconic song. Of course, it didn't hurt that he may end up using one of my telescopes someday! :) I had a good ice-breaker with someone I've never met...

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic