Raynox-on-Raynox: no camera lens or objective

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Raynox-on-Raynox: no camera lens or objective

Post by Lou Jost »

We use Raynoxes both as tube lenses for objectives and other lenses, and also as close-up lenses attached in front of other lenses. I always wondered what would happen if we just skipped the other stuff and made a whole setup with nothing but Raynoxes--- a Raynox tube lens with a Raynox close-up lens in front of it. This morning I tried it.

I used the best Raynox for the tube lens: the Raynox DCR-5320. I used the lowly Raynox DCR- 250 as the "objective". I used a 16mm paper aperture between the two lenses (that is essential; wide-open you just get mush). This gave me about 2x magnification. Working distance was an insane 100mm.

I was shocked at how good it was in terms of lack of color fringing, which is a problem for many of my "real" lenses. It won't win any prizes but it is interesting to see what it does. Here is the full image, and then a 100% crop, both of jpgs straight from the camera except for exposure adjustments.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Thank you for sharing!

There isn't much CA. However, resolution seems less than your previous stacked lenses. Is the effective aperture here much smaller?
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

This is in standard (not hi-res) resolution (20Mp) for the Oly PEN-F, since it is not pixel-sharp. There's not much point in using the hi-resolution mode (80Mp) if the normal image is not perfectly sharp. I don't recommend this combination of lenses for serious work, it was just a fun experiment, but impressive nevertheless, especially with respect to CA.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic