LED replacement bulb for stereomicroscope?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jnh

LED replacement bulb for stereomicroscope?

Post by jnh »

I recently got a cheap, beaten-up, unmarked stereomicroscope that looks somewhat similar to some offerings from Meiji or Amscope (e.g. this one: https://www.amazon.com/AmScope-SE410-Pr ... DEVGPB4GAH, except the light is not side-mounted).

Now I would like to replace the bulb in there with an LED equivalent, but can't seem to find out anything about the socket type. The current bulb says 12V/10W on it, but any replacement bulbs on the Meiji or AnScope website don't fit these specs. Does anyone have any idea what type of socket/bulb this might be?

And mine has a 2x objective, any idea where I can find the matching 1x?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I'd be tempted to try a 12V vehicle side light LED. The capless ones have wires which you can fold around, or solder. Some have a fairly large COB with a lens on the end. About $2.
The CRI might not be very good ..

For identifying your socket, if you remove, picture and measure it, it would help.
Chris R

jnh

Post by jnh »

Just a quick follow-up here. I measured the bulb socket, which was 9 mm in diameter. That seemed to match well with bulbs having a BA9S socket designation, that I came across (and yes, most of them for automotive applications. Thanks, Chris).
So, first I just ordered a random BA9S bulb through Amazon, which fit, but was a bit dim. I then ordered another BA9S bulb - the brightest I could find on superbrightleds.com - which does the job nicely.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic