Diptera Nematocera in Amber

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mortenoen

Diptera Nematocera in Amber

Post by mortenoen »

Hi,

I have now cracked the code for doing these images, and reached the limits of my setup. The amber itself is now the limiting fatcor for me. The most important improvent was, of all things, the floor. I found the only room in my house with a concrete floor (except for my basement that is), and that was the outer hall. It is now a macro studio, and visitors can hang theire clothes elswhere :) Because of reflexes and bubbles in the amber, I do not like to use flash, because of unwanted reflecions in some of the images in the stack. I use continuous light, parly to check the stack through before I start to take pictures, and with shutter speeds of 1/10-1/20, the floor played a huge role. I also use a light table, so flash is not an option.

I have also bought a new lens, the Pentax 50mm FA Macro 2.8. It was not as huge an improvement as getting a solid floor, but it shows in resolution and contrast.
I'm now reading about insects and amber and fossils, becuase there is very little help in ID'ing my inclusions. I'm a member of fossile forums, but I think the experts are on holliday or don't bother, and I have had no luck getting in toutch with the academics at my nations universities. They don't respond to mail. So, as per usual, I have to figure stuff out on my own, and it's actually great fun to learn about the little bugs!

The last piece of the puzzle is the refractive index of immersion fluids. Some of the best ones are harmful to amber, but I have some good candidates on the way in the mail. Proper fluid will give contrast a little boost, but VG for vaping is all right for now.

I have not gotten my rails yet, so focus stacking is done by pushing the camera in the Arca-Swiss mount a 0.05mm at a time with my two thumbs. (Pentax has a focus outline on the image on the screen, so once I learn my subject, I can follow fragments of legs and wings as they come into focus. Not as hard as it sounds).

So I present to you fine people the image of the day, a Diptera Nematocera from the Eocene period in Baltic Amber! ID'ed by myself :) Pentax Q on bellows with FA 50mm Macro lens. The little midge is 2mm in size. Zerene Stacker and PS.
The limits of my language means the limits of my world -Ludwig Wittgenstein

abpho

Post by abpho »

For your setup this is pretty impressive Mortenoen. The fact that I live in a basement on a concrete floor is pretty much what allowed me to progress to my current level given my gear. At 20x I get around 0.1mm in camera shift. I want to eliminate this to maximize my image resolution. I hate wasting pixels. :D

PS: I like all the bubblez.
Last edited by abpho on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

mortenoen

Post by mortenoen »

Thanks for kind words, abpho!

I know I'm not at the level of you guys, the pictures here is just insanely good.

I have allways been a landscape photographer, and in the amber I have found landscape qualities, and by learning about insects and fossils it's also a lot more, like time traveling. It's also true to my first criteria of my photo work, to show what can't be seen. It is very inspiring. Never would have dared it if it wasn't for the people at this forum. Tank you!

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Top notch work! To this amateur I think you are the master of amber macrophography.
There are several families in the Nematocera, and I tentatively suggest that this is a midge (Chironomidae). It should be a female, with its simple antennae, as males have very plumose antennae. You can see both here: http://bugguide.net/node/view/1176010 Actually, the people at that site (Bugguide) often identify insects for people, and you might try to send them some pictures for identification. They are really good and might get a kick out of it.

Interesting how one can use modern insects to identify insects from fossils. But I suppose it should not be too surprising though.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

mortenoen

Post by mortenoen »

Thank you so much, Mark!

I'll head over to the bugguide ASAP! I am familiar with the Chirnomidae by now, I have several of them. By the way, you should warn about x-rated images :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic