Small beetle

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

davholla

Small beetle

Post by davholla »

I have a small garden and although I am trying to make it more interesting (winter flowers etc). I don't get many new insects. Here is a small beetle that I saw for the first time the other day.
Tachyporus 3.36 Magnification size 3.4mm
ImageTachyporus by davholla2002, on Flickr.
Sadly a bit of reflection on it, I need to get some polystyrene in front of my speedlite to try to deal with this.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Nice catch. That is an interesting looking beetle. Where in your garden did you find it? Just wandering about or under leaves or something?

davholla

Post by davholla »

Beatsy wrote:Nice catch. That is an interesting looking beetle. Where in your garden did you find it? Just wandering about or under leaves or something?
Under some old newspaper I had thrown out to create a place for creatures to hide under (it was too messy to recycle).

GrayPlayer

Re: Small beetle

Post by GrayPlayer »

davholla wrote:I have a small garden and although I am trying to make it more interesting (winter flowers etc). I don't get many new insects. Here is a small beetle that I saw for the first time the other day.
Tachyporus 3.36 Magnification size 3.4mm
ImageTachyporus by davholla2002, on Flickr.
Sadly a bit of reflection on it, I need to get some polystyrene in front of my speedlite to try to deal with this.
Something as simple as a paper towel of Kleenex will work for a diffuser.
Fred H.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Also, I think you could reduce the effect of the flare on that image just by playing with levels and contrast and maybe white-balancing in post-processing. For example (I hope you don't mind my playing with your image; if you prefer I'll remove it):

Of course this has reduced dynamic range and some noise; best to fix problems in the lighting before rather than after taking the picture, but you do have some room to play in post-processing.[/img]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic