Fly or wasp in Baltic Amber

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mortenoen

Fly or wasp in Baltic Amber

Post by mortenoen »

Continuing my hunt for the dead I ordered a small bag of Baltic Amber from Lithuania for $25 on eBay, because I have seen JH's images here. This disintegrated insect caught my interest. Just testing out equipment really, and learning.
Pentax Q7 with reversed Kern Paillard Yvar 25mm @f.4.0, 4 stacks of 10 images in Zerene stacker, blended in PS. I put the little stone in VG on my light table. (I vape, so of this stuff I have several litres:-)
The limits of my language means the limits of my world -Ludwig Wittgenstein

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

That's an interesting shot. It's an Ikea insect (some assembly required). :)

mortenoen

Post by mortenoen »

Thanks Beatsy! "Interesting" is my only advantage :) I still work with just a compact camera, a tripod and lenses from the 1950's. But more equipment is arriving every day. I hope to put something nice together within next month! But working with a small sensor has some advantages too. This is only a 1.2x magnification, even though the Insect is only 3-4mm long.

JH

Post by JH »

Nice
Regards Jörgen
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I am pretty sure its a fly.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

mortenoen

Post by mortenoen »

Thanks Jörgen! You are my inspiration for this! Tack så jättemycket för ditt arbete!

Thanks Mark for ID. I'll start to read books very soon!I have allready opened the "History of Insects". 14 more to go.

M.

JH

Post by JH »

mortenoen wrote:Thanks Jörgen! You are my inspiration for this! .
:D Thanks a lot!
Charles Krebs pictures in this threads was my inspiration:
http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... 0498#20498
http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... 0403#20403
Regards Jörgen
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

mortenoen

Post by mortenoen »

Thanks Jörgen! I have allready looked at those. Just fantastic images!

I made a new one today. Its a gnat, or a Diptera Nematocera, according to the label on the stone. It's only 2mm long, so I tried something different. I tested out some filters and different light, and got a hint of body and texture. Still only 12-18 images in the stack, but I think I'm getting better. One problem is that the stone floats in Glycerine, so I had to make a contraption to weigh it down. Could of course be better, but I have discovered that lenses is not everything. I just love the photographic prosess of doing this thing.

Kern Paillard 25mm reversed on 47mm ext. tube. Pentax Q7. Lot sharper and detailed orig. image, but it's close enough.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Another good and interesting image.

I had some success grinding the amber away with every finer sandpapers on a piece of flat glass, finishing with brass polish for a smooth flat surface. This just got the insect closer to the surface for a better image. I never thought of putting amber in glycerine though. I assume it better matches the RI so you get less lens aberrations. Will have to try that sometime - thanks for mentioning that.

mortenoen

Post by mortenoen »

Thanks Beatsy, but the idea of glycerine is Jörgens. I think he did a test of water, glycerine and oil in a thread on this site. I got rid of the bumps and scratches on the surface by just putting it under. Microscope oil is not something I have lying around :)

mortenoen

Post by mortenoen »

I am now reading "History of Insects" by Rasnitsyn/ Quicke 2002. They recomend immersing the amber in mineral oil or thick sugar (glycerine). They say, that this should be done for first inspection. And never use veg. oil, because it will disolve the amber to some extent. Oil, they say, will penetrate cracks, but that might be a good thing, because the amber will be clearer. Also the RI is better. but the danger is that the speciment might be damaged. Sugars are best, although not optically best, because it does not penetrate the amber and is easily washed out. And then, if the amber is not fragile, it should be grinded down and polished, then apply a drop of sugar sollution and place a cover glass for inspection. The amber itself, should be placed in a dark place without oxygen, preferably in a vacuum. But bright light is by far the worst, like in a museum display. They discuss several methods and fluids for photography and observation, but it looks like glycerine and grinding/polishing is the combo with the best properties vs. damage to the fossils. And keep them dark, dry and cold, as per usual.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic