Help regarding microscope objective

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Cornel,
I had taken some photographs of the eye of the fly while I was experimenting with the LED illumination last year.
And I used the same 50x lens as you have:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=
BTW, these photographs are not really sharp, because I used a low power LED-ring and shutter time of 6 seconds.
BR, ADi

Cornel

Post by Cornel »

ty
Last edited by Cornel on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Cornel,
Never give up :-) If I were not able to return this lens, then I would try to clean it.
But, please take some photographs and make some notes during the disassembling in order to be able to assemble the parts in the right way.
For the cleaning I am using the hexane (petroleum ether), propanol ( 1 or 2) and in the worst cases sidolin (butoxypropan-2-ol + ethanol, + some surfactant).
But you can take ethanol min. 95% and any glass cleaner too. And finally polish with the condensed water.
BTW, 200$ was not really cheap :-(
BR; ADi

ConstantinCornel

Post by ConstantinCornel »

Thanks for the tips Adi, I'll probably have a go at it if everything else fails even if it's very unlikely it can be put back together with such high precision. Can't get any worse :))

Thank you all and see you in the gallery section :)

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

Looking at all the images my guess would be that the objective has been disassembled and put back together minus the shims between the first and second elements causing not only severe degradation of the image, but also allowing the first two elements to touch causing the marks in the center that you see.
Probably beyond saving as it's only a $200 loss.
I am not young enough to know everything.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic