buy specimens?

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Rickard Lindquist

buy specimens?

Post by Rickard Lindquist »

A search of the forum yields 3,303 matches, so I come to you, the reader, for guidance.
New to macro, I've been looking into buying more exotic specimens that the (few) around here. But what dealers are reputable, what shape are the specimens in when they arrive, and how are they sourced?

If anyone would be willing to share their experience and recommendations I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,

Rickard Lindquist

Olympusman

Specimens

Post by Olympusman »

Since you said "macro" I suspect you are talking about purchasing insects online. I have no experience there, but I have been buying vintage tissue sections online for sometime and haven't been having any problems.
I know some of our associates in our group have issues with the sources of specimens ( I mean a 12 inch Walking Stick?) whose harvesting can be a hazard to the local ecosystem and may present a moral conundrum, I would suggest getting acquainted with your local flora and fauna. You have a wealth of material in your own backyard.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Assuming you want exotic insects, the many dealers that do a lot of sales are probably fairly reputable. If they sold specimens in crappy condition they would not be in business. Specimens are generally dried and wrapped snugly in cellophane and shipped with lots of padding. Check their return policy.
Here is a supplier: https://www.butterfliesandthings.com/pr ... 5400f.aspx
But there are a lot of these.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic