Problem in first use of Nikon infinite lens (10x)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crystalline

Post by crystalline »

Thanks Pau and ChriR :-)

Pau, It is interesting that you use a 70-200 zoom lens. I though we should only use constant lenses (e.g. 200 mm). Have you posted photos or details of your rig somewhere?

Anyway it seems that in my case the problem was at least partly in the tube lens (see below). I have not tried yet the 50X... It will be even harder I think.

ChrisR, yes I still keep the iris a little bit stopped down to reduce reflections, but you are right about new adapter rings. Will try to work them with some black mat spray.

NOW THE NEW ENCOURAGING TESTS:

I thought trying a new tube lens that I received: Componon 150 mm instead of Raynox 250 mm.

This tube lens focused at about 120 mm distance from sensor. The results are below and are much much better now (compare with the photos above), although still not at the level I would have wished.

Can we conclude that for some reason Raynox 250 is not a good tube lens with Nikon 10x? Has anyone combined these two lenses with good results?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Zoom lenses are OK generally except that they're more likely to cause vignetting because of the position of the entrance pupil.
Can we conclude that for some reason Raynox 250 is not a good tube lens with Nikon 10x? Has anyone combined these two lenses with good results?
No, more evidence needed, and every other variable eliminated, and preferably and a theory to support it! Many of us use these lenses. Specific lens combinations haven't been remarked upon as bad.

Again
Do you have a distance (try perhaps 50-100mm) between the tube lens and the objective?
The Raynox is likely to need a larger gap than the Componon iirc.
Both that and the Raynox, should be used with their focus at infinity.
The Raynox is best reversed.
Chris R

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Here you have, both from several years ago and nothing special, in fact pretty outdated for today forum high standards:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=67184
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=59281
(last one refers to the objective we're discussing)
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic