New member - first test - Woodlouse Hunter

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ultima_Gaina

New member - first test - Woodlouse Hunter

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

New member who lurked this forum for a while, trying to learn a few tricks.

Here is my first real test: a woodlouse hunter, found yesterday under a rock.

I'll appreciate your feedback.

Cheers!

Caddo

Woodlouse hunter

Post by Caddo »

Hello Ultima_Gaina,

Wow! When I first clicked on your post and the photo appeared I thought.....that's my photo! I recently shot an almost identical view plus dorsal and ventral views.

Your first test came out well with one item which may or may not be just my taste in colors. Unless you were going for the dramatic color scheme it appears too red in the spider body, even bleeding over into coloring the hairs and eyes for example.

Never the less, nice image.
For comparison and critique if you like, I will post my "Woodlouse" hunter but will place it in the "Studio" heading which is really where these type of set-up indoor stacking photos should be posted.

Looking forward to more great images.

Caddo

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Good test! Very interesting eyes (ocelli?) too, I've never seen them arranged like that before.

Ultima_Gaina

Re: Woodlouse hunter

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

Caddo wrote:Hello Ultima_Gaina,

Wow! When I first clicked on your post and the photo appeared I thought.....that's my photo! I recently shot an almost identical view plus dorsal and ventral views.

Your first test came out well with one item which may or may not be just my taste in colors. Unless you were going for the dramatic color scheme it appears too red in the spider body, even bleeding over into coloring the hairs and eyes for example.

Never the less, nice image.
For comparison and critique if you like, I will post my "Woodlouse" hunter but will place it in the "Studio" heading which is really where these type of set-up indoor stacking photos should be posted.

Looking forward to more great images.

Caddo
Thanks for the feedback. You are right, even if I like bright colors, these colors are too bright for this type of photography, indeed.

Now I really have to wait for the spring to get more tests done. It just started to snow in my area so.. no bugs for a while
Well... I'll probably spend more time tweaking my set-up.

Which, btw, here it is:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Welcome to posting!

The image is excellent on technical grounds. I agree about the over-bright colors.

Your setup appears to use a DIY automated rail system. Of course we would be interested to hear more about that, preferably over in the Technique forum.

--Rik

abpho

Post by abpho »

Nice work. :D
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Ultima_Gaina

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

Funny thing the pic made it into editor's choice on dreamstime ;)

https://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free ... ge85033935

Of course, I still have to sell it, however I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Btw, anybody else trying to sell macro and extreme-macro through microstock sites?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic