Hornet striking a pose

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jacko999

Hornet striking a pose

Post by Jacko999 »

This is a Hornet , I've wanted to take a photo of one of these for years. The 1st and only time I have had the opportunity to take a photo of one was 2 years ago, I set myself up, was just about to take a photo and it flew off !!

When I take photos with such high magnification, I try to brace myself on something firm, use mirror lock up (Which stops mirror slap ) And I also always hold my breath to minimize any movement for the sharpest possible image. I don't use a tripod for macro work as they are slow and cumbersome(by the time I set it up, whatever I was photographing has moved and probably had babies by then!)
This specimen was captured at great dixter garden in Sussex. It had damaged wings so it couldn't fly, it also posed for me beautifully.

It's been ages since my last post, the image seems to be quite low in detail when I uploaded it. My original image is more detailed
- https://flic.kr/p/Luv4D9

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Hornet striking a pose

Post by rjlittlefield »

It is a nice image. Possibly would have been improved by a slight shift in viewpoint, so that both eyes could be in focus.
Jacko999 wrote:the image seems to be quite low in detail when I uploaded it. My original image is more detailed
I expect you submitted it as a large image and allowed the forum software to shrink it for you. This is always a bad idea. It is much better to resize the image yourself, staying within the maximum size allowed by the forum. That size is maximum 1024 pixels in width and height, and maximum 300 KB in file length. If your uploaded file fits within those limits, then what the forum serves back will be exactly the same as what you uploaded (bitwise identical).

--Rik

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very good.
Is it really demonstrable that a picture taken under mirror lock-up is a tad sharper than a picture taken without? It will be some time before I can test this myself, so I am asking instead.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Henk Wallays

Post by Henk Wallays »

Well I like the soft aspect of your shot alot, it's far less harsh / white then what I just posted on the same species. THanks for sharing ;-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic