Bracket fungus

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Olympusman

Bracket fungus

Post by Olympusman »

Bracket fungus

Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Troels

Post by Troels »

Nice picture.
But it looks as if you have turned it upside-down?

Troels
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

Olympusman

Bracket fungus

Post by Olympusman »

Thanks. No, actually that is the way it grew. This was on the end of a log at the bottom of my firewood pile which had been undisturbed for over a year. This is the natural orientation. Maybe when it took hold before the log was relocated, it started in the other direction and grew up this way with the gills up.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Troels

Post by Troels »

Take any rule in nature and sooner or later you will meet a strange plant or animal triyng to go against it.

Normal consol shaped fungi protects their spores against rain with a roof as cover because the spores must be dry to be able to be transported by the wind. But this species seems to have adapted to spreading it spores with the rain water?

Even then it would not be the first time in natural history. Nest fungi (in Europe the genus Cyathus) develop bowl shaped bodies with spherical assemblies of spores (peridiola). When a rain drop hits the tiny bowl the peridiolae are thrown far away from the mother fungus.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Not an expert on things such as this but I favor the first explanation, the fungi had already began to fruit prior to the wood being rearranged and so this is or was the outcome and as Troels remarked, sooner or later something or another in nature goes or tires to go against the grain. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic