Grasshopper parasite?

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mtuell

Grasshopper parasite?

Post by mtuell »

I found a large (70 mm long) grasshopper yesterday. It was still moving, but several hours later, it seemed dead, so I put it in a container and brought it home. Under the microscope last night it seemed to be moving a bit - I couldn't figure out if it was vibration or air currents or if it was actually still alive.

This morning, I looked again, and there was still motion, in fact it seemed to have moved on the stage. Then I noticed what appeared to be larvae of some sort crawling around. I captured six of them, but didn't see a hole in the grasshopper that they were coming out of. The abdomen appears to be an empty shell at this point. I see that wasps can lay eggs in critters such as this. I'm wondering if that is what they are. I don't think they are young grasshoppers, but I could be wrong.

I also noticed a perfectly centered feature under it's "chin" that I couldn't ID in grasshopper anatomy diagrams. I'll try to get a picture of it that is decent. It is like a small stalk with "hairs" coming out of it. I was wondering if it was a fungal infection, and indeed grasshoppers can get such a thing, but this looked a bit different than the pictures I saw.

Ahh, the wonders of nature! :)

Mike

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

The "chin" feature was moving making a stack difficult - as noted earlier. I'm not sure if it is part of the grasshopper or some type of parasite or growth or what. Weird...

:?

This is 5x BD darkfield, not macro.

Mike

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

As they kill the grasshopper they are called "parasitoids".

These are fly (Diptera) maggots (larvae). Most likely of a Tachinid Fly, but I believe some Sarcophagid flies also attack grasshoppers.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Thanks! I had a feeling that was what I was looking at.

I'll have to work some more, perhaps it will change with time, the protuberance between the front legs, just below the "chin".

Mike

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Take care of those things, they will probably hatch and you'll get to see the adult. Don't let them dry out. Maybe give them very slightly moist sand to burrow in.

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Thanks, Lou, I'll do that.

I must say, I'm glad I put the grasshopper back into a container... a whole bunch more maggots emerged as I watched basketball! (Go Cats!) :D

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic