www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Nikon Small World - macro not allowed!?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Nikon Small World - macro not allowed!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatsy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Nikon Small World - macro not allowed!? Reply with quote

Just got around to scanning the Nikon Small World images. Lots of names I recognise from this forum - well done all.

I intend to have a go next year and noticed that the rules (here https://nikonsmallworld.magnet.fsu.edu/small-world/rules/) explicitly state that "macro photography is not permitted". Gosh.

So does an objective on a tube lens fitted direct to a camera count as macro?
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the part
"Photomicrographs must be taken using a light microscope, such as one of the Nikon series of microscopes. All types of light microscopy and specimens are acceptable."
excluded a great image by Yousef Alhabshi. He used a JML21mm on bellows.
If he'd screwed a Canon /Olympus 20mm macro lens onto a microscope, - who knows?
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the post, but Rik (?) asked and NSW responded that our macro setups with microscope objectives can be thought as DIY microscopes and are allowed (in fact there are some winning images likely taken with this kind of rigs). Maybe Yousef said taken with a macro lens or something similar.

For example, for me your oblique diatoms at 50X are microscope images without any doubt. Our macro/micro fora division may be practical but, like almost all divisions, at the borders is arbitrary.
Leeuwenhoek microscopes were simple lenses with a focusing device, should them be considered macro? Wink
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pau wrote:
I can't find the post, but Rik (?) asked and NSW responded that our macro setups with microscope objectives can be thought as DIY microscopes and are allowed (in fact there are some winning images likely taken with this kind of rigs).

That was Chris S. I don't have a link to the post either, but my memory matches Pau's. If I were planning to apply, I would specify "DIY microscope" and name the objective that was used.

--Rik
Saul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjlittlefield wrote:
...That was Chris S. I don't have a link to the post either, but my memory matches Pau's.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28850
Beatsy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news. I thought there was a post about this but failed to find it using search. Thanks for digging it out Rik. Custom built microscope it is Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: