Resource detailing diatom collection sites

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

zzffnn

Resource detailing diatom collection sites

Post by zzffnn »

Is there a book or an electronic resource that details popular diatom collection sites and their GPS coordinates? Please kindly share them herein. Thank you.

I remember seeing one site, but information there is very scarce. I mostly want diatom sites for USA, but a world wide version would work too. For example, we will travel to Hawaii in a few years, so it would be nice to know where (and when) exactly to collect diatoms.
Last edited by zzffnn on Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

BJ

Post by BJ »

hi,

i am not sure whether you have to join the group to access the files, but Steve Gill has made available to the yahoo diatom group a very comprehensive list of diatomite sites:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dia ... Diatomite/

enjoy!

Brian

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

BJ wrote:hi,

i am not sure whether you have to join the group to access the files, but Steve Gill has made available to the yahoo diatom group a very comprehensive list of diatomite sites:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dia ... Diatomite/

enjoy!

Brian
Thank you, Brian.
I joined the group to access the list (currently waiting for group owner to approve me, I guess). I probably have a few GPS coordinates to add there too, unless my friend Rod already did so.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Brian,

There are only lists for fossil diatomite, and no list for live/recent sample sites.

Is it because we assume live/recent samples can be collected almost everywhere? A good live site can produce good forms and concentration though, so it may be worth it to list those as well?
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic