Canon 600D/T3i macro setup - need advice

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

benjamind2014

Canon 600D/T3i macro setup - need advice

Post by benjamind2014 »

I have a distant future plan to use a Mitutoyo 5x, 10x, and maybe later a 20x (as funds permit) and a Stackshot to create detailed images of various subjects.

I would like to use a Raynox DCR-150 with it, as this means I can save some money on the tube lens, the Raynox DCR-150 produces very good image quality from the postings on this board comparing the DCR-150 with various tube lenses with Mitty planapo objectives.

I'm thinking about maxing out at a 20x objective, using 5x and 10x for the rest of my planned projects, and not going any further (ie. 50x) - the resolution, the NA, the working distance and overall image quality it's well worth the price point for that lens. I feel that spending additionally for a 50x lens won't really provide better resolution for my own projects.

For the actual subject stage, there are plenty of ideas, including a XYZ stage that allows extremely fine movements, including rotation. Not sure how much a decent quality one would set me back, but I do hear of these being available on eBay. It is part of a good macro setup, and while it is not absolutely crucial, it makes the job of positioning the subject material a lot easier and more enjoyable.

The stackshot would be easy to work with, and I am aware it allows stacking as fine as 1 micrometre which I realise is fairly important for the 20x, less so for the 10x and 5x.

I'd also like to do cross-polarisation for some subjects, as in crystal structures, if that is possible. I am not sure how this could be implemented in the setup. I am aware it is possible to use a polarization filter in front of the light source, and an analyzer after the tube lens. I'm just not sure how this could be accomplished on a setup utilising the Raynox as a tube lens.

I just wanted to get some idea of how my setup should look like, overall, so that I could design the setup, and purchase the necessary components as funds allow in future.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

benjamind2014

Post by benjamind2014 »

Any information about tube lenses vs Raynox?

How do you fit a Raynox to a Canon 600D? How does this work with Mitty lenses?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic