Wild M3C

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tabarnes

Wild M3C

Post by tabarnes »

I have the M3c and while it is aligned there is a little play in the eyepiece tubes. They are firmly attached but wondering if that is normal?
Like I said it is aligned when the tubes are at rest. I am just thinking that the play should not be there?

Thanks for the help.

I also have a M5 on the way. I have wanted one for a while but just acted on one. Has a return right but hopefully it will be in great shape.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

There shouldn't be any play nor wiggle in the ocular tubes. They screw into cover hoods over the prism. If the tubes are screwed in properly it is possible that the locking rings that hold the prism turntables have loosened and need to be snugged up. Or perhaps a tooth on the gear interface between the two turntables is broken. There is not much that can be done about that.

You can open the binoc head to examine the interior without threatening any alignment points. You unscrew the eyetubes and remove the anti dust ring washers. Then remove three screws from the bottom plate and the cover will come off easily. The binoc heads are simple and have only one prism on each side. The alignment is done at the factory and epoxied into place so there is no real adjustment unless the swivel tables get loose which I have never actually seen but I suppose it is possible.

tabarnes

Post by tabarnes »

Thanks I will try to resnug that. When I got the scope the prism one one side was actually loose. I re-epoxied the prism. So it is possible I did not get everything snugged back up. What is weird is that of course when I move the eyetubes it goes out of alignment but when both are just sitting there it is in very good alignment.

Thanks

Also G4 what are your thoughts on the M5 how does it compare to the M3C?

tabarnes

Post by tabarnes »

The problem is that I am missing a bracket that holds the eyepiece tubes down. I am now looking for a parts not working head to scavage the piece for parts.

Tim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic