Ecuadorian Paramo

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pbertner

Ecuadorian Paramo

Post by pbertner »

While not Macro related (At least I didn' t do any while I was here), this area is great for landscapes and dramatic weather. If you have a drone, you can fly it safely without too much fear of obstacles or overbearing regulations. The area is Cotopaxi NP, and is about 1.5hr away from Quito. I hope some of you are able to make it out.

While working with FONAG, Foundation for the protection of waters, in the Ecuadorian Paramo, we documented the Rio Pita, one of the most important contributors to Quito's water supply (roughly 30%). Here is a point close to the source at the foot of Sincholagua volcano. Photographed by P3P drone.

Documenting the length of the Rio Pita provided tons of great opportunities for dramatic captures like the river coursing into a canyon at sunset, whilst fog rolled in from the east:

Sincholagua, the source of the Rio Pita can be seen in the distance as the river courses through yet another canyon:

4 volcanoes ring the area where I was staying, as such some of the river bed and surrounding areas is volcanic in origin with beautiful striated textures:

Lastly, the Paramo is prone to fickle weather with clouds rolling in and out with hardly a moment's notice. My last night there and we were treated to a lightning storm over Pasachoa, one of the volcanoes close by.

Thanks for looking and commenting, as always C&C is most welcome,
Cheers,
Paul

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Thank you for sharing! Very beautiful images!
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Wonderful images. Thanks.

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:D Very nice photos.
Thanks for sharing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic