Micro beginner

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

humanshepherd

Micro beginner

Post by humanshepherd »

Good afternoon,

I do have some experience with macro, now I want to try with LOMO 3.5X and equipment that I have. Question no1: Can I use Velbon micro rails to do stacking or I have to purchase (expensive) Newport ones?
Any other advice please? I use Canon 1100 d

I find my eternal inspiration in molds....:)

Tnx, B

Saul

Post by Saul »

Saul
μ-stuff

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Micro beginner

Post by Chris S. »

Boris, welcome to the forum! :D (I'm a different Chris from ChrisR, who replied to your other thread.)

I think Saul has given you sage advice. That Deltron linear stage looks like a very nice item, priced quite low for what it will do, and well-matched to your needs. The Velbon is not a total disaster, but I've never had any love for mine. The linear stage Saul pointed you too is surely of a much higher order.

If you get one, I'd suggest that you mount an Arca-style rail (aka "plate" or "foot") to the bottom, and an Arca-style clamp to the top. To do this, you'll want to drill and tap a few holes. (If you've never done this, don't let it scare you--it's quite easy.) This makes it quick to mount the stage under your camera (assuming that your camera and tripod are set up with an Arca-style L-bracket and Arca-style clamp, respectively--which I'd strongly advise.)

Cheers,

--Chris S.

Saul

Re: Micro beginner

Post by Saul »

...mount an Arca-style rail (aka "plate" or "foot") to the bottom, and an Arca-style clamp to the top. To do this, you'll want to drill and tap a few holes. (If you've never done this, don't let it scare you--it's quite easy.) This makes it quick to mount the stage under your camera (assuming that your camera and tripod are set up with an Arca-style L-bracket and Arca-style clamp, respectively--which I'd strongly advise.)
Or you can go this route:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 436#192436

If you'll decide, I can send 3D models for printing. I did not use nothing extra for the bottom plate, just drilled & tapped hole for my tripod - I always try to keep my designs as low profile as possible. Minus of this particular ebay listing - there is no bracket for the stepper motor (if you'll decide to go for the automated version). With little bit more luck maybe you'll find full version, they are sold with 1.8 degree stepper. My advice - do not dissemble (separate ) top & bottom plates - it will be real pain in the b$%# to put back linear bearings ... Stuff some piece of clothing in to the gap, drill and tap and remove very carefully - NO metal particles to the bearings.
Saul
μ-stuff

humanshepherd

Post by humanshepherd »

Good evening, thank you for your advice. So, do I mount this rail on tripod and how? It maybe it will be more stable if I mount it on the table...
How to attach it to camera? Sorry for very basic info, these are my first steps into micro. Haven`t bought anything yet, just exploring what and how much I have to invest.

Appreciate your help

B

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

There are tons of ideas at the forum, this is one of most often discussed subjects.

Take a look at our FAQ: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=7298, it contains lots of ideas and links to different rigs
Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Boris,
humanshepherd wrote:So, do I mount this rail on tripod . . . It maybe it will be more stable if I mount it on the table...
You definitely want to mount it to something. That something is probably a tripod for field use. But indoors, you should mount it to a "base." That base can be metal (my favorite), wood, stone (granite, for example), or likely other things. It just needs to be strong, stiff, and heavy. You should also mount the thing you want to photograph on this same base. The idea is to mechanically "couple" the camera and subject, so that any vibration that effects one will effect the other, and largely cancel out. This is very well established--and it works.
humanshepherd wrote:. . .and how? . . . How to attach it to camera?
I actually gave you an answer to this question in my earlier post. Saul gave you another (quite sound) approach. And Pau pointed you to a thread containing quite a few additional approaches. As a beginner, you can't be blamed for not seeing these for what they were. But those of us who've been down this path need to take a step back and orient you.

Most cameras have a threaded hole underneath, to permit the camera to be attached to a tripod. The common standard is a 1/4-20 thread (a quarter-inch hole with 20 threads per inch). (Some tripods come in a sturdier size, 3/8-16--a 3/8 inch hole with 16 threads per inch--but you can likely ignore this.)

But screwing and unscrewing tripod bolts is fiddly and annoying. For this reason, many serious photographers have adapted their equipment to a quick release system. The best and most common of these is based on the Arca Swiss standard. This is a dovetail developed by the Arca Swiss company some time ago, but now commonly used by lots of equipment makers. For a quick description, see here: What is Arca-Swiss Quick Release System? Arca-style components are largely interchangeable between brands. Good sources include Hejnar Photo, Kirk Enterprises, ProMediaGear, Jobu Design, Wimberley, etc.

In my approach, I suggested that you get a Arca-style L-bracket for your camera, an Arca-style clamp for the top of the Deltron stage, and an Arca-style foot for the bottom of this stage. Then you would put an Arca-style clamp on your base or tripod. After reading the introduction linked to above, this will probably make more sense.

Saul suggested something similar, but our ways of attaching the Arca-style components to the stage differ a bit. We both suggested (again, if I properly understand Saul) that you drill a hole on the bottom of your stage and carve 1/4-20 threads in it. This process, called "drilling and tapping" is very easy--check out the many YouTube videos on it. Into this threaded hole, you would place a screw to hold the foot. (I'd actually suggest drilling/tapping two threaded holes, to prevent rotation.)

I suggested that you similarly drill and tap a hole or two on the top of your stage, to attach the Arca-style clamp with screws. Saul went a different path here, making an adapter plate to use screw holes already existing in the stage. This is a perfectly valid approach. I've done similar things; Saul here used 3-D printing to make a plastic adapter plate, while my adapter plates are made of aluminum--either should work fine.

Sorry if this sounds terribly involved. Trust me, it's really pretty simple! :D

Cheers,

--Chris

--edited typo
Last edited by Chris S. on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saul

Post by Saul »

Chris S. wrote:... drill and tap a hole or two on the top of your stage, to attach the Arca-style clamp with screws. Saul went a different path here, making an adapter plate to use screw holes already existing in the stage.
Only one thing - it cannot be done with this Deltron model - underneath top portion we have lead screw assembly. So why I used 3D part. It could be done in the different way ( in order avoid 3D part, same time to minimize height), but I did not want to take a risk ...
Saul
μ-stuff

Saul

Post by Saul »

humanshepherd wrote:. . .and how? . . . How to attach it to camera?
Some photos ...

Saul
μ-stuff

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic