New Canon DSLRs announced

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

New Canon DSLRs announced

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Canon has announced availability of the 1Ds Mark III and a 40D now. Check in most of the more general photo forums for details.

The 40D strikes me as of potential interest to macro photographers. The viewfinder is supposed to be improved significantly over previous 1.6 crop factor cameras, plus it has "live view" on the large LCD. This could be quite an advantage in macro photography, if it works well (I have no experience and not even any reliable user reports I know of).

I have a Rebel XTi for my backup camera that I'm content with for everything except macro....The viewfinder is intolerable on that camera for macro. Since it is a backup camera, I'm probably going to keep my XTi, and resist the temptation to trade it in for a 40D. But boy, is it a temptation!

As for the 1Ds Mark III, I'd love to have one, but for the price Canon wants, I'll get along with my original version 1Ds for another year or two....
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Epidic

Post by Epidic »

Why go to a photo forum? Hasn't Canon announced this?
Will

Mike B in OKlahoma

There's a Canon announcement somewhere, I didn't have a link and was too lazy to look one up! Feel free to post the link if you like.

There are also a couple of new Nikons out there that look pretty good for those who are drawn to the Dark Side.... :)
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

There's previews of 4 new bits of kit at http://www.dpreview.com

Canon 40D and 1Ds mk3
+
Nikon D3 and D300

At a brief glance they all look fairly interesting - irrespective of whether one takes the 'left hand path' or not :)

pp

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes, I just had the following routine e-mail from Nikon Professional Service a couple of hours ago:-

"Dear David

Nikon's acclaimed professional line-up is being joined by two new high-performance D-SLRs and five superb new lenses, all combining the latest technologies with the outstanding design values and build quality for which Nikon is world-renowned.

The D3 is the fastest D-SLR in its class, boasting an exclusive 12.1 effective megapixel FX format (36.0 x 23.9mm) image sensor with 12-channel read-out and a cutting-edge image processing system. Developed after years of research and feedback from Nikon professional users, it features a brand new 51-point autofocus system, expandable ISO settings from 200-6400, a rapid-fire 9fps frame advance, and a 3-inch VGA LCD screen with Live View to offer unparalleled professional handling, performance and imaging.

The trailblazing new D300 represents a breakthrough in compact pro performance. Packing in a wealth of advanced multi-functional technologies and a class-leading 12.3 megapixel resolution, the DX-format D300 offers exceptional ease of use and superb image quality. With ultra-fast response, speedy 6fps, a high-definition 3-inch VGA LCD display panel and an innovative self-cleaning sensor unit, the highly durable D300 sets new standards for advanced compact D-SLRs.

To maximise the potential of the new FX format, the ultra wideangle AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED and the slimline AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED zoom Nikkor lenses are being launched. Fully compatible with existing DX D-SLRs, both lenses are designed to meet the exacting demands of professional-standard use. Dust and moisture-resistant and highly durable, they share fast f/2.8 apertures across their entire zoom ranges, Nikon's unique Nano Crystal coat technology to minimise ghost and flare, ED glass elements for outstanding resolution and contrast and the Nikon-exclusive Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet AF.

Nikon's exclusive VR II Vibration Reduction system features in the three new super-telephoto VR Nikkor AF-S 400mm f/2.8G ED VR ,AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR and AF-S 600mm f/4G ED VR lenses, providing the equivalent stability of a shutter speed four stops faster - enabling successful handheld shooting in lower lighting conditions than you would ever have thought possible, and making them the ideal choice for sports, wildlife and reportage.

For more information on these products, please visit www.nikon.co.uk"

To me the D3 seems like an upgrade for the D2H rather than the D2X in that it is a "low Megapixel" high speed camera in order to keep the file sizes down but the taking speed up, a sports photographers machine rather than a studio or wildlife photographers, that is unless you want to catch fast action. However it is way cheaper than Canon's 21 Megapixel top of the range model.

Dave Whiteley

Mike B in OKlahoma

DaveW wrote:
To me the D3 seems like an upgrade for the D2H rather than the D2X in that it is a "low Megapixel" high speed camera in order to keep the file sizes down but the taking speed up, a sports photographers machine rather than a studio or wildlife photographers, that is unless you want to catch fast action. However it is way cheaper than Canon's 21 Megapixel top of the range model.
Almost everything is way cheaper than Canon's 21 megapixel top of the range model! You can get a Mamiya medium format digital back and camera for not too much more than a 1Ds3! What is frightening is that Canon will still sell thousands of them!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

--Calvin

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I think the 39 Megapixel Hasselblad top of the range digital is a bit dearer than the Canon, $40,000 on launch or some similar exotic figure?

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2500

DaveW

Mike B in OKlahoma

DaveW wrote:I think the 39 Megapixel Hasselblad top of the range digital is a bit dearer than the Canon, $40,000 on launch or some similar exotic figure?

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2500

DaveW
Sounds like. Mamiya's 22 megapixel medium format back looks cheap at "only" $9,900 including a camera body and one lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... ystem.html

So I guess I'll run out and buy four of those Mamiya kits rather than the one Hassy!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

--Calvin

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Just a quick remark. I think the most important advancement of the new generation cameras for macro will be the improveded sensitivity of the sensors! It will be easier to work without flash! And 12 megapixels should be enough for most uses:) I'm curious about the results of the sensor at 1600 ISO

Wim

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

Wim van Egmond wrote:Just a quick remark. I think the most important advancement of the new generation cameras for macro will be the improveded sensitivity of the sensors! It will be easier to work without flash! And 12 megapixels should be enough for most uses:) I'm curious about the results of the sensor at 1600 ISO

Wim
That is what is very important to me. I often go to iso 1600 when needed, and it looks pretty good on my Canon 5D.

Erland

twebster

Post by twebster »

I'm on a waiting list for a 40D. I'll give y'all a report after I receive it. If it is as good as Canon claims I'll probaqbly use it more than the 1D MkII I have.
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic