Opinions on the Canon Macro Twin Light MT-24EX

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

porkchop

Opinions on the Canon Macro Twin Light MT-24EX

Post by porkchop »

Hello All,

New member, first post. I'm an experienced photographer but new to macro. I had a fleeting interest in it a few years ago and bought:

- Canon 100mm 2.8 L
- Canon 25mm extension tube
- Canon Macro Twin Light MT-24EX flash

Played with the stuff for a few days, but work and other interests led me elsewhere. These weren't researched or well-informed buys - just impulses. I'm very happy with the lens, which has served well as a portrait lens for a few years now. The flash, I'm having a lot of misgivings about. I now have the time and interest to get back at it and bought myself a Stackshot.

I've searched the forums for MT-24EX but cannot get anything useful to pull up in the results. Surprising as I would have thought this flash would have been discussed in great detail. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong in my search query.

My question concerns the MT-24. I purchased some small plastic diffusers that fit onto each flash head, but they don't do much to soften the light—they only reduce the output, which is still harsh to my eye. I'm also realizing that the position of the flashes, so close to the lens, is very restrictive.

There is a lot to like about this flash unit, but when you're not happy with the light, everything else doesn't matter much. I'm looking for successful modifications that have made this flash useable. The two flash units are detachable from the ring and have plenty of travel in the cords, but their connector plates are not hot-shoe compatible so I'm not sure how I would get these mounted to some sort of DIY bracket.

Has anyone "salvaged" this flash and made it useful?

Should I just sell the thing and devise my own bracket and light diffusers?

I have a full studio setup: Lots of lightboxes, umbrellas, a roll of lightbox diffuser material, and 5 or 6 good flashes with wireless triggers. I'm definitely not limited to using the MT-24.

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly welcomed.

Thank!

Bill

johan

Post by johan »

I've found this ebay diffuser useful: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-MT-24EX ... SwGzlTr~Rg

That said I wouldn't use this in the studio, it's just a field flash for me. This on a 5d2 and mpe is a bit bigger and bulkier than I'd like but I'm not sure there's much out there that rivals this lens/flash combo.

There are lots of homemade diffusers out there (google for mpe concave diffuser) and mt-24ex diffusers as well (google for macroscopic solutions, he has one too).
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

"Everyone" makes their own diffusers for the things! There's a number here: http://orionmystery.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=mt24ex
Chris R

porkchop

Thanks!

Post by porkchop »

Johan and Chris,

Thank you for the info and links! They led to an avalanche of information. I think I'll DIY something out of a Chinese soup container and some softbox diffuser material I have laying around.

Hopefully I'll have some test shots to post soon.

Thanks again,

Bill

Mark Smith

Diffusers

Post by Mark Smith »

Haha Chinese soup container is definitely the way to go!

I just noticed this thread. I'm designing a new diffuser for the MT-24EX twin lite, but I can't say for certain how well it works because I haven't tested it yet.

A copy of the design is attached below. Any suggestions you have are welcome.

It's a durable, snap on shade, one for each hood. Direct light is blocked by the inner deflector, bounced to the exterior deflector and projected (hopefully diffused) onto the sample. The inner deflected with convex design will be finished with mirror like surface, outer deflector will be finished in white. This should eliminate the warming effect I warn users about with the current MT-24EX diffuser.

I'll let you know when it's tested. I'll produce a video to confirm results.

American Pharaoh

johan

Post by johan »

Looks like the light is being bounced twice in this, only thing I'd question is whether the light loss might be a bit extreme?
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Mark Smith

Stay tuned!

Post by Mark Smith »

I question it too, but i'll test with optics ranging from 5:1 - 1:10. I believe a mirror like finish on the internal deflector will mitigate loss of light.

Stay tuned!
American Pharaoh

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Another issue is that from the standpoint of the subject, the backside of the inner deflector will look like a fairly large dark rectangle cut out from the surrounding bright reflection. With shiny subjects that geometry should be visible in the reflections, but I don't know whether it will present a problem.

--Rik

Mark Smith

Geometry

Post by Mark Smith »

I've tweaked the geometry so that the edges are more rounded and less sharp. I'm hoping this will yield a more natural look on shiny/metallic objects.

First test will be a sample of polished hematite. Hopefully, will have this completed by next week.
American Pharaoh

Mark Smith

Test Images

Post by Mark Smith »

I was able to produce some images using the new diffusers. I determined the best method was to photograph an actual reflection using the exact same camera settings. Settings used are Flash 1/32, EXP 1/200, f4.0, and ISO 200.

These photos can be picked apart in many ways that meet both pros and cons on the critics list, but they do give good insight into what's happening.

You can see the effect these would have on the actual subject by looking at the flash ring. Shots captured with the diffusers yield a more matte appearance on the flat surface of the flash ring.

No Diffusers

With Diffusers

No Diffusers

With Diffusers

Images of diffusers:
American Pharaoh

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is helpful, but even more informative would be to crank down the exposure so that none of the frame is blown out. In the images shown above, much of the back side of the small inner deflector and all of the front side of the big outer reflector are rendered as pure white: 255,255,255. But if I understand your design correctly, the only light coming from the inner reflector will be light coming through the inner reflector, which I would expect to be at least somewhat less bright than the outer reflected light.

I suspect that the reflections in the lens of the last image give a good idea of what I'm talking about.

--Rik

johan

Post by johan »

Would it be possible to take some shots of a shiny black marble, to see what the reflections look like? Also, can you do a comparison of relative light strengths with and without flash, one that can be replicated against other diffusers?

Mark Smith

Diffusers

Post by Mark Smith »

Rik, I believe you are correct in your comments. I have a shiny metal film that I used on the inner surface of the inner reflector. Surprisingly, it look as if light still transmits through this film. Either that or light is getting through the internal structure of the plastic. I'm not sure yet. I may black out the inside of the mount to see if this has an effect.

I was trying to interpret what was happening based on the reflection of the camera lens too, but I can't quite figure out whet's going on with color because of the oxide lens coatings.

I will perform the tests you suggested. I'll need to wait a day or two though because I already ran out of my supply.

Johan,

I do not have a shiny black marble, but I will try to find something compatible. I can do a comparison test as well. To better understand what you're looking for, could you please attach a figure that I may use as a reference? Don't go out of your way, only if there is oner readily available.
American Pharaoh

Mark Smith

Exp 1/180, f8.0, ISO 100 and Flash 1/32 Tests

Post by Mark Smith »

Tests sought. I do not have a black marble on hand, will perform these tests when available, for now I used a copper bullet.

Mirror Test Settings are: Exp 1/180, f8.0, ISO 100 and Flash 1/32 Tests

For reference Bullet Settings Are: Flash 1/1, f25, ISO 800 and 1/180

American Pharaoh

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic