Baiting Insects for macro

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pwiles1968

Baiting Insects for macro

Post by pwiles1968 »

I have been asked a couple of times what I am using to Bait Bumblebees and Hoverflies, it is Plain Sugar Water, The Mix is about 2:1 Water to White Cane Sugar by volume (60ml water I add 4-6 spoons sugar), it is enough that the sugar dissolves in cold water with a bit of agitating, not so much that it is a syrup.

I keep it in a pot in the fridge along with my syringe and change it out after about a week if it has not run out.

I use a homemade syringe to get the mix into flowers its a Football Pump Valve screwed into an old pet medicine syringe body basically an open tube.

I watch where the bees etc are feeding and how they are feeding, then choose a couple of flowers or sets of flowers and bait them then with a few drops and wait .... once they find it they will hang around for a little while, hoverflies will hang around for ages once they get a taste and will put up with being moved a lot.

Love to hear your tips/tricks.

rajyesyes

Post by rajyesyes »

wonderful tip... saw just now. was wondering how to go about it..

Olympusman

Bait

Post by Olympusman »

Why not go straight to the hard stuff? Honey dissolved in water.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

A beekeeper told me it can carry diseases.
:smt102
:?:
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic