MYXOMYCETE XXII Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

MYXOMYCETE XXII Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Top image: One fruiting body
Horizontal FOV 2.5mm
Canon 10D
Canon 20 mm Macro on tubes @ f/5.6
81 images at .0005 inch increments

Middle image: Part of the Ceratiomyxa forest
Horizontal FOV 5mm
Canon 10D
Canon 20 mm Macro on tubes @ f/5.6
74 images at .001 inch increments

Bottom Image: Naked eye overhead view.
Horizontal FOV – 40mm
Canon Pro 90 IS
Canon close-up lens
Single image

All images proceed in Combine ZM and Photoshop

Of all the myxomycetes I have collected over the years this is the most unusual and delicate. This genus, which only contains three species bears its spores on it’s exterior branches like apples on a apple tree. No membrane or capsule to break to release the spores.

As the bottom image shows, it is capable of coming up in vast numbers, appearing to cover large amounts of surface area. The small individual members accomplish this by spreading out their branches to contact each other as the middle image shows. Like a vast jungle forest, with a dense canopy blocking an aerial view of the forest floor, the canopy of Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa keeps you from seeing the substrate beneath.

Walt

jmlphoto

Post by jmlphoto »

amazing job. what tubes are you using for the first two shots.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very interesting, and beautifully documented. :D

I really like these high mag side views that you have become so expert at producing. :smt023

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Another set of intersting myxo shots there Walt but somehow for some reason unknown, these do not strike me as being C. fruticulosa. Something about them just does not look right. It maybe that you have photographed them late in their life cycle or maybe a bit too early, I am not sure and that they indeed are C. fruticulosa. However these are some really great photos! :D

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Hi jml. My extension tubes are some old Leica 35mm units that I found in a camera shop and adapted to my camera and lens using my engine lathe. I prefer a solid connection between camera body and lens over a set of bellows. With a 30mm, 2) 45mm and 1) 90mm tube set I get some variable field of view combinations.

Thanks Rik and Ken. I respect your opinion Ken. I used my reference book “ The Genera of Myxomycetes by Martin, Alexopoulos and Farr to make my identification. It seemed to fit their drawing and description. What do you think it is ?
Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well I cannot be sure Walt. :-k Your id is probably correct but as I said something just doesn't look right. I suspected Fuligo spp. but then I am not sure of that either. More than likely you are right. Like I said you may have captured it either in the early stages of developement or in the latter as it has began to decompose. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I know I am a little late on this reply walt, but the photos are simply amazing. You capture great detail with your side shots that you cannot see from the top.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic