Any opinions and knowledge on 'refurbished' macro lenses?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

Any opinions and knowledge on 'refurbished' macro lenses?

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I have a line on a refurbished lens -- a Canon 100mm f/2.8 with IS. This is from a major departmental store that primarily deals in electronics, including cameras, and they are offering it for $666.90. This would be an awesome deal if this lens was 'like new', or 'barely used' , but to me 'refurbished' could mean it was used a LOT, and the IS might fail. That is my chief worry. It comes with a 1 year warranty.
What do people think? What does 'refurbished' mean? Does anyone have experience on this matter?
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refurbishment_(electronics) for a good discussion of the word.

A common scenario is that the lens gets returned after not much use simply because the buyer decides that it's not worth the money. The alternatives then are to just sell it as "used" (in which case "Like new!" is pretty much just advertising fluff), or to check it out, fix anything that was wrong (often nothing) and sell it as "refurbished" with a guarantee attached.

For more info about this particular case, you might able to get some hint by looking at the store's return policy, or by calling the store and talking with that department's manager.

As for the IS in particular, I don't recall reading anything about that bit being particular vulnerable to failure. There are lots of other things that can go out of whack also, ranging from intermittent electrical connections to lens elements knocked slightly astray by a shock that left no signs on the outside. You would want to check out the lens carefully after purchase, but then that's true for a brand new lens also.

--Rik

MarkSturtevant

Refurbishment

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Thank you. What you are describing makes good sense. I am gonna get me my first true macro!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic